Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Tube spice models
Tube spice models
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2008, 02:41 PM   #21
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Tube spice models
Quote:
Originally posted by Cauhtemoc

It is written in Tcl, so the actual program is the .tcl file. You need an interpreter to run these files. One example is ActiveTcl, which is freely availible from ActiveState.
Yes that is correct and I use the activestate version of tcl without problems.

Curve Captor does not care what the application of the tube is, it just captures curves. Note that you must manually enter the inter-electrode capacitances into the model in order to have a fully valid ac model.

The overall accuracy of the model depends on well you are actually able to match the curves which is controlled by amongst other things the complexity of the polynomial equations of the models used and your patience.

Lots of patience is required and the program is a little difficult to use, if you misplace a point on a curve you can ignore it or start over depending on how many errors you've made. (Sometimes points wildly off of the target curve will be ignored in the final curve fitting part of the process - if they're not you must redo your curve fitting entry.)

My overall experience with curve fitting pentodes has been frustrating, I think the underlying math used in the models often does not allow a very good fit in the cutoff region and it is very difficult to get a good match in this region.
Old 19th January 2008, 09:07 PM   #22
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Tube spice models
Quote:
Originally posted by janneman

What AX year/issue was that? I have all of them. Do you have a copy of the Ham radio article?

Jan Didden
It was August 2004 -- I've since gone on to build one for USB with a Measurement Computing controller -- the HV amplifier was a real kluge but it worked like a charm.

The HR article was by Joe Carr sometime in 1978 and I have it on CD-ROM. The only ham magazines I keep now are from when I was in high school.
Old 19th January 2008, 10:43 PM   #23
Dave Cigna is offline Dave Cigna  United States
diyAudio Member

Concerning Curve Captor, kevinkr said:

Quote:
Lots of patience is required and the program is a little difficult to use, if you misplace a point on a curve you can ignore it or start over depending on how many errors you've made. (Sometimes points wildly off of the target curve will be ignored in the final curve fitting part of the process - if they're not you must redo your curve fitting entry.)
You can tweak the most recently placed point with the arrow keys on your keyboard.

Quote:
My overall experience with curve fitting pentodes has been frustrating, I think the underlying math used in the models often does not allow a very good fit in the cutoff region and it is very difficult to get a good match in this region.
I didn't think that Curve Captor would create pentode models.
Old 20th January 2008, 11:37 AM   #25
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

VERY usefull, thanks!

But those 4X150 (7034) and 8072 seem quite rare in spice land...

Jan Didden
Old 20th January 2008, 11:40 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by janneman

Hi Jack,

Thanks. I actually have all the material including the tubes and data sheets. I was just trying to find spice models so I could sim the amp before building; at least to weed out my most stupid mistakes

What AX year/issue was that? I have all of them. Do you have a copy of the Ham radio article?

Jan Didden

Got it. Good article, clever thing. I'd appreciate a copy of that Ham article if possible, jan atta linearaudio dotta nl.

Jan Didden
Old 29th January 2008, 05:57 PM   #27
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Tube spice models
Quote:
Originally posted by Cauhtemoc

It is written in Tcl, so the actual program is the .tcl file. [/URL].
So how does this TCL Widget generate my tube curves:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 30th January 2008, 01:08 AM   #28
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Tube spice models
Hi Jack,
You're tweaking us right?

For those new to the program you just select and run the curve captor application, IIRC if windoz is configured correctly it will automatically start TCL for you. TCL is just a programming language which can run widgets and lots of other things..

Curve Captor here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/curvecaptor/

Install TCL first and then Curve Captor..

It's been quite a while since I last used CC and I will admit there is a very steep learning curve.. There's quite a bit more on it here:

Pretty much everything you need to know should be on this thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...?postid=632704
Old 30th January 2008, 02:34 AM   #29
sasha is offline sasha  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Jan,
I suggest You take a look at Acoustat dd amp. It will go 10kVpp but no more than 10mA. If You consider very low amplitude at 20kHz in music
material this should be sufficient. I have made some changes in original
schematics (with a help of a friend) and now is very stable. You can find my posts regarding this.
I think 1500Vrms is not nearly enough and You will end up building something else with more swing or going back to step-up transformers. Original 6HB5 pentode has been
replaced with 6HV5 triode .
Regards.
Old 30th January 2008, 06:42 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sasha
Hi Jan,
I suggest You take a look at Acoustat dd amp. It will go 10kVpp but no more than 10mA. If You consider very low amplitude at 20kHz in music
material this should be sufficient. I have made some changes in original
schematics (with a help of a friend) and now is very stable. You can find my posts regarding this.
I think 1500Vrms is not nearly enough and You will end up building something else with more swing or going back to step-up transformers. Original 6HB5 pentode has been
replaced with 6HV5 triode .
Regards.
Hello Sasha,

Thanks, I'll look up your posts. Is there a circuit diagram there also?
I was going to built this for my Martin Logan Sequell II's, which as far as I know would have enough with 1500VRMS. But I'll take another look at it.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Jan Didden

Tube spice modelsHide this!Advertise here!