Developing a "universal" tube power supply PCB - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2007, 06:20 PM   #11
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Why would you want to use a PCB with tubes?

Quote:
Originally posted by dsavitsk

Not if you do it right. I use daughter boards on tube sockets, but the trick is to use the socket itself for mounting. Thus, there is no stress on the board. Here's one installed.

Doug,

Did you make (or have made) those boards? I would like to get some boards for octal and noval tubes with screw terminals like that for experimenting!
Old 11th January 2007, 06:48 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Why would you want to use a PCB with tubes?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherman
Did you make (or have made) those boards? I would like to get some boards for octal and noval tubes with screw terminals like that for experimenting!
If you haven't seen it, you can get an "octal relay" from tubesandmore.com that has screw terminal connections to each pin

Click the image to open in full size.

I searched around and could not find a noval version, so I made my own.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0200.jpg (49.9 KB, 778 views)
Old 11th January 2007, 06:55 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I did have them made. I found a board house that will allow me to panelize a bunch of stuff onto one large board. I also discovered that I like designing boards a lot more than I like soldering, so I just keep making them.

Anyhow, I have a pair each of 6sn7 and 6j5 boards that I am not going to use that you are welcome to. The caveats are 1. the spacing is only 8mil, which is maybe a little close for really high voltages, so you would need to be careful, 2. I've not tested them to know that they are good for anything, and 3. the reason I've not tested them is that I stupidly relied on the Eagle tube library before i knew better. The socket pin spacing is not quite right. If you can find a very small octal socket, you might be able to cram it in. I have done this, and it is kind of possible but it is a bit of a pain.

Each board can be biased via a resistor and cap, or via LED.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0201.jpg (55.0 KB, 709 views)
Old 11th January 2007, 07:01 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
I don't like to solder tube sockets to PCBs, despite it looks nice and is more technological hot metals are expanding in size and all gear needs to be periodically switched off so sooner or later the solder gets loose.
Old 11th January 2007, 11:00 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi guys,

Quote:
Originally posted by SvErD
Good idea! Is it snap-in size caps you have designed for?
Snap-in caps will fit. Radial leaded too, but not perfectly flush.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Bavis
I would add an additional mounting hole at the center - this would give better support to the rectifier socket. You might also want to add 2W bleeders.
Super ideas, thanks!

For solderless experimenting with tubes, there are these for breadboards

Old 12th January 2007, 06:06 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Just some afterthoughts...

Quote:
Originally posted by Wavebourn
I don't like to solder tube sockets to PCBs, despite it looks nice and is more technological hot metals are expanding in size and all gear needs to be periodically switched off so sooner or later the solder gets loose.

If solder does not melt from socket tags fitted on chasis how it is going to melt from PCB pads ? Have you see solder dipping from PCB fitted with tubes? The PCB chosen is glass epoxy board FR4 material can withstand very high tempratures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FR-4

Plus a couple shots of another great prototyping method using sockets, standoffs and tagboard! Getting more ideas into the field here.

Old 12th January 2007, 08:43 AM   #17
opik is offline opik  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Default that's cool

this is so cool i think it's a good idea, cos personally i don't like too many cables on my design, Nice works!Geek
I've seen Audio Research VT100 inside there was 8 of 6550 it's build in using pcb, and less cables..
Old 12th January 2007, 09:16 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Re: that's cool

Quote:
Originally posted by opik
this is so cool i think it's a good idea, cos personally i don't like too many cables on my design, Nice works!Geek
I've seen Audio Research VT100 inside there was 8 of 6550 it's build in using pcb, and less cables..
Thanks much!

It's also very rugged (wasn't planned that way, it just is). Speaking of 6550's, you could build a tank of a guitar amp this way, no doubt.
Old 12th January 2007, 06:59 PM   #19
robot is offline robot  Croatia
diyAudio Member

These boards look well an useful for a lot of power supply combinations,

atarado
Old 13th January 2007, 04:26 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

He definately has some interesting stuff.

RCT2 looks close in capability to mine only its thinner - 1.6mm, but ouch!!! I was thinking of a GB price of $12.50 ea.

Hide this!Advertise here!