• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6C41C in OTL?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone else tried the 6C41C in an OTL-

Just lately, I switched over the 6C33C out of my circlotron otl and tried some 6C41C...

The amp usual set up is with 2 x 6C33C, with 190V +B circlotron supplies, cathode follower drive, from diff-amp F.B stage. I usually run the '33C at 75-100mA...Sound is just great IMO...

Decided to try the '41C for fun as I got a whole bunch cheap on fleabay.

Im trying just one tube per 'side' set at 100 mA. Initially they sounded really quite 'rough/coarse' Not at all like you would expect 'Half a '33C' to sound, and not really very pleasant.....

Decided to leave the thing run for a number of hours......

They really have 'changed their tune', now sounding more like the 6C33C at low to moderate volumes, and quite pleasing results...
I havent yet tried all the proper testing for power/dist etc. as its quite a problem to set all the gear up...Ill have to wait for O.H. next shopping-trip!

Usual power with the 2 X 6C33C, (one per 'side') is 56W, just before onset of clipping, so I expect around 12-15W running a single '41C per 'side'

I next plan 2 x 6C41C per side, Be interesting to see the effects....

All the tubes that I have, show remarkable similarity in bias-matching, Much closer than usually found with the 6C33C

Currently, These things are dirt-cheap on fleabay, Around 50 dollars for 10, in makers boxes, from a guy in the Ukraine....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.