• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

PS Decoupling question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An amp I am working on has two output transformers connected to the same B+ supply. The final PS cap, a 10uF Solen, before the transformers is probably 12 inches away. I was thinking about, very close to the transformers, adding some small resistors, and another cap, one for each side, to make the PS slightly more split. So, the current version is on the left, and the proposed is on the right.

I am sure this is fine to do, but I am looking for suggested resistor and cap values. Voltage is right where it should be, so i don't want to drop much voltage with the resistors. I was thinking in the 20R range. Current draw is about 25mA per side. B+ ripple is very low as the PS is regulated. Is 0.1uF fine for the caps, of should I use something larger than that?

Thanks

Attachments

• ps.jpg
    ps.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 220
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
dsavitsk said:
An amp I am working on has two output transformers connected to the same B+ supply. The final PS cap, a 10uF Solen, before the transformers is probably 12 inches away. I was thinking about, very close to the transformers, adding some small resistors, and another cap, one for each side, to make the PS slightly more split. So, the current version is on the left, and the proposed is on the right.

I am sure this is fine to do, but I am looking for suggested resistor and cap values. Voltage is right where it should be, so i don't want to drop much voltage with the resistors. I was thinking in the 20R range. Current draw is about 25mA per side. B+ ripple is very low as the PS is regulated. Is 0.1uF fine for the caps, of should I use something larger than that?

Thanks

I would agree with the local caps, but not the resistors. They would effectively isolate the Solen and cause lf signal-dependent ripple on the B+.

Jan Didden

If my purpose was to give isolation between the two output stages, I would ensure the final cap could supply them on its own. If the 10uF is appropriate in your case, why not buy a second Solen, and buy a second one of whatever is before it (choke, resistor) to create two independent L-filters.

lndm said:
If my purpose was to give isolation between the two output stages, I would ensure the final cap could supply them on its own. If the 10uF is appropriate in your case, why not buy a second Solen, and buy a second one of whatever is before it (choke, resistor) to create two independent L-filters.

I think this is what I was intending to do, more or less, except by adding a stage. And, I think it means that rather than a 0.1uF cap, I'll need something larger, which was really what the poorly worded question was getting at. The 10uF is plenty large for both sides, so I think I'll try some 5uF solens I have around and see how that goes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.