Adjusting BIAS - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2007, 12:53 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Adjustig BIAS

I have VAC 80/80 KT88 amp. After adjusting bias so that plate current is exactly same, I can hear some hum from speakers. If I adjust bias by ear I can get that hum to disappear. But plate currents differ quite much then. 63 mA and 65 mA for other pair and 52 mA and 65 mA for another pair.

Which one is better? To adjust bias by ear to get minimum hum or to adjust by meter to get identical plate currents?

My amp is working in triode mode and is biased towards class A to get best sound quality.

Sincerely Yours, Sixtus Oest
Old 10th January 2007, 11:07 AM   #2
Merlinb is offline Merlinb  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

When you discover something like that it indicates that having the valve off-balance is introducing a small hum signal that is cancelling the hum out. If you can't find the true source of the hum and beat it directly, I say go with your ears
Old 10th January 2007, 12:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I am not familiar with the amp. One possibility is that you are measuring voltage across cathode resistors that are not accurately matched. Another is that the primary winding of your OPT is not tapped exactly in the center. Whatever the problem, it's usually best to balance by ear,

Hide this!Advertise here!