6S19P Amplifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2007, 09:37 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 6S19P Amplifier

I bought 10 of this tube because I would like to experiment with triode sound, without shelling out the cash for 300B's or 2A3's or the like. I was browsing some sellers on eBay and came upon this tube, the 6S19P (6C19pi). It has some interesting specifications, one of which is an 11-watt max plate dissipation. I figure that I could have around 15 watts safely with a PP configuration.

Here are some specifications and pictures:

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

http://www.russiantubes.com/prop.php?t=12&p=309
http://www.klausmobile.narod.ru/testerfiles/6s19p.htm

The tube requires a big voltage swing to drive it, as I've learned. Rather than design a very high-powered, more complex driver stage, I'm beginning to consider using an interstage transformer. This one looks like it might work: (http://www.edcorusa.com/classx/match...XSM600-10k.htm )
I read of a transformer like this being used to drive a push-pull pair of 2A3's ( http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/2a3_4.htm ), which could simplify things, but I really don't know how to design a circuit using these transformers. Does anyone have any experience in this?
Old 4th January 2007, 08:33 PM   #2
Zibi is offline Zibi  Poland
diyAudio Member

6s19p is a "half" of 6080/6as7/6n13s:
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/6as7_1.htm
Old 4th January 2007, 08:38 PM   #3
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default used in transcendant SE-OTL

Transcendant sound www.transcendentsound.com has an OTL based upon this, the SE-OTL. A very good amp (Just started the modding last night)
Old 4th January 2007, 09:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

A very good amp if you want to have a vacuum tube heating system at home.
Old 4th January 2007, 09:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zibi

Old 5th January 2007, 02:29 PM   #6
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zibi
Fortunately the little one isn't too bad, only 10 tubes.

But then, I don't mind using tubes, they sound good

Tube crossover, linestage, and power amps and it sounds great, very transparent, no 'bloat' or 'tubey artifacts'.

Old 5th January 2007, 03:02 PM   #7
Fuling is offline Fuling  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
vacuum tube heating system
Doh, Im building a clone with 12 output tubes. ~200W total dissipation for a couple of watts out...
Old 5th January 2007, 03:03 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

3W output power per channel @ 16 ohms and 63W filament power consumption.
Old 27th January 2007, 01:21 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well, my bundle of 10 of this tube arrived a week or two ago, and I'm still interested in trying my hand at an amp. I'm thinking push-pull into some 2.5K Edcor OPT's, here: http://edcorusa.com/products/transfo...25-8-2_5k.html . Since the plate resistance of the 6P14P is so low, I assume that this is a reasonable primary? I'm thinking about a Williamson topology to drive the tubes, except with some type of 9-pin semi-equivalents, maybe a 12AT7 input and splitter to a 12BH7 driving the 6S19P's? Any thoughts?
Old 19th February 2007, 04:49 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

well, i've hit a couple snags. mostly, it's that this tube requires a lot of voltage swing on the cathode, but at the same time, i'm trying to work with a main B+ of around 280V. it's hard to feed a driver stage 280V or less, assuming more filtering after B+, and expect it to swing that kind of voltage.

For example, I've picked a bias point, given a 280V B+, at 200V and 40mA on the plate, at around the -75V mark. I quartered an 8K a-a output impedance on an output transformer to get 2K, which gave me my slope.

Depending on the power transformer, I might try to run the tubes VERY hot at, say, 60mA and around -55V on the cathode. A big 300-0 300-0 500mA Antek toroid into a 10H 300mA choke might do the trick. In that case, I'd probably only need to swing 65V in order to have decent headroom, which is a bit easier. I'm having trouble figuring out TubeCAD, though. I can arbitrarily set some parameters to get a pretty decent "Vo max" statistic, but what happens if the "calculated part value" for Rk doesn't match the one I have?

The long-tail pair is also pretty difficult to get working in TubeCAD... well, I guess I have plenty of time.

The plate dissipation I calculated (pretty simple, 160V on plates * 60mA current) is 9.6 watts. 19.2 watts of dissipation, but at what efficiency? I've got my eye on a the Edcor XPP15-8-8K, 8K a-a, 15W, at only $19 per

Hide this!Advertise here!