Identifying an unknown tube - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2007, 05:43 PM   #1
Rispoli is offline Rispoli  United States
diyAudio Member

Question Identifying an unknown tube

Hope someone can help. I recently purchased a pair of rare (50 pairs made) Antony Michaelson mono tube amps (Chronos). There are 2 tubes on the input/driver board. One is a 12AT7 and the other is an unknown GE brand. This tube is slightly taller and has 2 grid plates at the top with no halo. Is there a way to identify this tube with no markings? A third part suggested it is a 12BH7, but how can I be sure? thanks in advance for any info, Rispoli
Old 3rd January 2007, 08:16 PM   #2
gianis is offline gianis  Greece
diyAudio Member

Default tube

Please post a pic from this tube...
Old 3rd January 2007, 09:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to diesel_tech
Put the tube in the freezer for a few moments, take it out and breath on it and look for a ID that might have been rubbed off. Some times this works and sometimes it doesn't.

Jeremy
Old 3rd January 2007, 09:32 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

watch out, make sure you don't heat the tube up quickly after cooling it, or it could break due to the stress.
Old 4th January 2007, 04:15 AM   #5
Rispoli is offline Rispoli  United States
diyAudio Member

thanks for the responses so far. I have included the best picture I could given the byte size limitation. Perhaps this will look familiar to someone....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0018a.jpg (9.1 KB, 391 views)
Old 4th January 2007, 04:37 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Michaelson and Austin Oddysee

Michaelson Audio Odysseus Problem.

michaelson & austin tva 10

You might get some info from the above threads.... you could also contact Musical Fidelity

dave
Old 4th January 2007, 02:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

GE tubes usually have a large etched number... occasionally faint, but pretty durable. 12BH7 or 6CG7 seems most likely, but 6829 and 6414 are tall like that too... pinouts are same as 12BH7, but heater current is different.

Bring one over, and I'll plug it into my tester. I live in Macedon, work in Henrietta... not far from you.
Old 5th July 2008, 02:46 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

That tube looks exactly like the 12AZ7N that Angela is selling. You'll find lots of 10 of them for sale on eBay.

If it really is a 12AZ7N, there's a vague reference to it here:
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?...lehead&n=68891

I've found it very difficult to turn up much info on this tube. I can't figure out if it is most like a 12AZ7, a 12AT7, or a 12AV7.

Here's a couple photos of one of the tubes from the lot of 10 I bought. Does your tube look like this? It appears to have a D shaped getter. There are no identification markings of any kind on the tube.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

By the way, one of mine has a tiny piece of glass running around loose inside.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 5th July 2008, 03:16 PM   #9
Tweeker is offline Tweeker  United States
diyAudio Member

12AZ7

Datasheet says it is a high mu VHF tube, mu and gm same as 12AT7 at same cited operating points of 3.7ma and 10ma. 12AV7 is medium mu, and is best left to non linear duties.

I would guess the 12AZ7N has near very similar electrical properties to 12AZ7, rather than 12AV7.
Old 5th July 2008, 03:31 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I would hope that the "12AZ7N" is more like a 12AZ7. But, in the link to the Bottlehead Forum, Ron thinks it is like a 6829 - which is closer to a 12AV7.

Hide this!Advertise here!