First ECL82 amp probs. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2007, 02:42 PM   #1
the_rod is offline the_rod  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default First ECL82 amp probs.

Hello All,
I'm quite a tube noob and I'm making my first amp, based on this schematic:
schematic

I only modified the power supply to add an insulation transformer. After a bit of experimenting I got the amp working - well, almost. When the volume pot is at max, the amp works well and I get a great sound, and when it is at min I don't get no noise at all (how it sould be...) the problem is in between: if I move the pot from the max or min position I get a loud siren-like sound! Does anyone have any pointers on what I may have done wrong?
thanks a lot,

Rodolfo
Old 2nd January 2007, 03:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi !
You probably built an oszillator due to wiring capacities. When you build with combined Tubes like XCL82 and especially XCL86 you have to be careful and you must use a deliberate layout. Only use short wires ans never put to wires from different sections in parralel for longer distances. I used ECL86 for my first tube experience, but luckily it worked fine, but I know the problems you have. The best beginner tube amp still ECC83 + EL84...

Hope this helps

Simon
Old 2nd January 2007, 03:21 PM   #3
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

The first thing I would try is putting a 220 ohm resistor at the grid of the triode. A 1/4 watt resistor should be fine there.

Remove the wire connected to the grid (Pin 1 in your schematic). Solder one lead of the resistor directly to the pin on the tube socket then connect the other resistor lead to the wire you cut.

Also, I would recommend using shielded wire from the input to the volume control and from the volume control to the grid (or the new resistor you just installed).

Hide this!Advertise here!