• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

LAMM ML3 *Signature*

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This very thing contributes to the reason why the 45 is judged better than the 6A3 (6.3V filament) or the 300B (7.5V filament). It explains why 300Bs run with subnominal filament voltages have better sonics, and why the Chinese are making a 2.5V version of the 300B.

The 300B has a 5 volt center-tapped filament and will probably show a similar voltage gradient to a 2A3 because it has half the current and is of a larger cross-sectional area.

On that note, there have been a lot of DIY GM70 amps built out there that sound very good, and some have been likened to have the sound quality of a 45 amp!

John

Global Negative Feedback

The comment was made in this thread that global negative feedback will always "improve" an amplifier.

While I don't want to turn this thread into a FB debate, that statement is not always an accurate statement - NFB can "improve" an amplifier's specs, it may or may not result in a better sounding amplifier. It is true that the gross distortion specs will always be lower. That may or may not translate, depending on the specifics of the application.

_-_-bear :Pawprint:

With tubes, filter chokes, a delay circuitry, multi-turn potentiometers and some gold plated stuff
Then there is the umbilical cord as well. And 2 chassis per monoblock. Don't underestimate the price of a good chassis. The price of GM70's has also gone up considerably in the past couple of years. Graphite plates cost around 60$ per pair now on eBay!!!

Something around $2000, may be $2500 in parts. Industrial visual appearance (inspired by metal trash can, no visual design at all to be precise).

"No NFB" ** used as marketing tool for i****.

As a source for spare parts and scrap-iron probably worth something for junk collectors.

Ok, I'll agree that it's ridiculously over priced. But for some filthy rich doctor, lawyer or philandering overpaid athlete it's just a drop in the bucket. Remember the old proverb. "If you can't sell it, raise the price".

I might mention that the president of the New Jeresy Audio Society, to which I belong, uses a pair of Lamm 1.1s in his bi-amped system which I've heard many times. They perform and sound great.

Last edited:
It seems that this is being marketed as a statement product for deserving audiophiles, the statement being, "there is a sucker born every minute".
Nothing wrong with marketing these for a certain group of people, if you can get someone to part with that much money you must be doing something right. The real sin is how reviewers do their best to justify the expense.

SoundStage! Equipment Review - Lamm Industries ML3 Signature Mono Amplifiers (9/2008)

Especially sentences like this: "While Vladimir Lamm is reluctant to sell these tubes, ML3 Signature owners who won't accept anything short of the very best sound possible should contact him. I shudder to think what a pair of these tubes -- when Vladimir has only six -- will cost."

The answer is...less than a 300b tube...but he seems to almost want to say...whatever the cost of these tubes...they are worth it.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with marketing these for a certain group of people, if you can get someone to part with that much money you must be doing something right. The real sin is how reviewers do their best to justify the expense.
Good point. I was alluding to the gullibility of people. So, the audio reviewers are really enablers, disseminating information that is targeted to influence purchasers, and not necessarily to advance knowledge or informed purchasing decisions. The topic of the value of present audio reviews has been discussed ad nauseum on numerous forums, replete with juicy quotes from reviews. Suffice it to say that I have rarely found these reviews to be very helpful in choosing equipment, and would certainly not influence me to part with some 140K large for these amps. To the contrary, I have found them to be generally misleading, biased and unhelpful. That subject is probably better discussed in a separate posting.

This thing costs a lot at retail price. Its TRUE value is that its very existance on the maker's price list guarantees very cheap publicity for the company - even if not one is sold! How many double page full colour spreads in every top audio mag across the world would the total production costs for say six units in fact represent? From that viewpoint alone it would appear that the maker, who has most likely now got spare capacity at his manufacturing facility, has brought off a marketing success by keeping his whole range in the public eye.

I was alluding to the gullibility of people.

Some of the comments are becoming surprisingly immature. People with large disposable income are more gullible than mortgage slaves? Really?

The obvious but possibly unpleasant truth is that there is simply too much cash around the world and not nearly enough temptations. The luxury markets have never offered value for money and this is not what the target customers are looking for. That Mr Shushurin has products in this market is quite cool for an ordinary guy and an ex-soviet to boot. More power to him.

The idea behind such audio products is to create a buzz and serve as an image booster for the main lines. They never sell for anything close to the recommended retail. Maybe closer to half of that. So you end up owing something really expensive but at half price. And rich folks do like deals :)

The luxury markets have never offered value for money and this is not what the target customers are looking for.
True. But it can be argued that there are products with astronomical prices that offer a hell of a lot more value for money. At least the Ongaku had a few kilograms of silver in them. Lamm is stocked to the gill with Hammond chokes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.