LAMM ML3 *Signature* - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2007, 03:33 PM   #21
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This very thing contributes to the reason why the 45 is judged better than the 6A3 (6.3V filament) or the 300B (7.5V filament). It explains why 300Bs run with subnominal filament voltages have better sonics, and why the Chinese are making a 2.5V version of the 300B.
The 300B has a 5 volt center-tapped filament and will probably show a similar voltage gradient to a 2A3 because it has half the current and is of a larger cross-sectional area.

On that note, there have been a lot of DIY GM70 amps built out there that sound very good, and some have been likened to have the sound quality of a 45 amp!

John
Old 7th February 2007, 01:18 AM   #22
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Don't forget the multi-turn potentiometers.
Also don't forget all the driver tubes!!!!
Old 10th February 2007, 08:30 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default GM70 Copper Plate $10K or$20K Option!!??

Do you think he will charge $10,000 or $20,000 extra for the Copper plate GM70??
Old 10th February 2007, 04:41 PM   #24
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Default Global Negative Feedback

The comment was made in this thread that global negative feedback will always "improve" an amplifier.

While I don't want to turn this thread into a FB debate, that statement is not always an accurate statement - NFB can "improve" an amplifier's specs, it may or may not result in a better sounding amplifier. It is true that the gross distortion specs will always be lower. That may or may not translate, depending on the specifics of the application.

_-_-bear
Old 6th June 2008, 02:37 PM   #25

Quote:
With tubes, filter chokes, a delay circuitry, multi-turn potentiometers and some gold plated stuff
Then there is the umbilical cord as well. And 2 chassis per monoblock. Don't underestimate the price of a good chassis. The price of GM70's has also gone up considerably in the past couple of years. Graphite plates cost around 60$ per pair now on eBay!!!
Old 7th December 2009, 11:24 PM   #26

The price has gone up to $139,290 recently. How is this though for a contrast. I got a matched quartet of GM70's for 99US$.
Old 8th December 2009, 01:13 AM   #27
Gordy is offline Gordy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas Horneman View Post
The price has gone up to $139,290 recently.
I'm in the wrong business !!!
Old 8th December 2009, 10:18 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas Horneman View Post
The price has gone up to $139,290 recently. .
It would be well worth doing a short course in Negotiation Skills. If you put $500 into that and managed to haggle the price down to $138,290 you'd be well ahead.

andy
Old 8th December 2009, 08:27 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Something around $2000, may be $2500 in parts. Industrial visual appearance (inspired by metal trash can, no visual design at all to be precise).

"No NFB" ** used as marketing tool for i****.

As a source for spare parts and scrap-iron probably worth something for junk collectors.
Old 8th December 2009, 08:48 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Ok, I'll agree that it's ridiculously over priced. But for some filthy rich doctor, lawyer or philandering overpaid athlete it's just a drop in the bucket. Remember the old proverb. "If you can't sell it, raise the price".

I might mention that the president of the New Jeresy Audio Society, to which I belong, uses a pair of Lamm 1.1s in his bi-amped system which I've heard many times. They perform and sound great.
"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when it's components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers. That is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." ~Stephen Hawking

Last edited by HollowState; 8th December 2009 at 09:06 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!