LAMM ML3 *Signature* - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2007, 05:27 AM   #11
mach1 is offline mach1  Australia
diyAudio Member

The GM70 must obviously use the same rare Hammond chokes as the Lamm 6C33.

If they use tube rectification on this little number I can't see them keeping the price down to $126,290. Maybe a limited edition audiophile version is in order ?
Old 1st January 2007, 07:40 AM   #12
BHD is offline BHD  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BHD
If you charge enough, people will pay. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

How can you know if you aren't getting the best, if you don't pay the most?

Just think how many records you could buy for that over priced piece of garbage...
Old 2nd January 2007, 12:17 AM   #13
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
over priced piece of garbage
I wouldn't say Lamm amps are garbage. As a matter of fact they are of excellent quality and performance. However, they are unbelieveably over-priced. That's an understatement.

John
Old 10th January 2007, 10:44 AM   #14
ahasz is offline ahasz  Germany
diyAudio Member

With a limited run of such an expensive product, you'd think Mr. Lamm would want to keep the innards under wraps.

The amp was present, but not demoed at CES, and surprisingly, the guys at Audio Federation were able to get detailed photos of the ML3 and the power supply... both from the outside and the inside

The pictures are about one third of the way down this page: http://www.audiofederation.com/hifii...day1/index.htm

Anyone interested in building a pair of $126,000 amps? If I knew more about tubes I'd love to make a pair. Perhaps someone here could reverse engineer it. I think it would make for a great project. In his press release he even listed the tube compliment...
Old 10th January 2007, 04:04 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Wow, some Caddock resistors, an oil cap, some polypropylene caps, a few circuit boards, some Hammond chokes and ..... presto!
Old 10th January 2007, 08:18 PM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Forget the Mercedes or the Acura... a Subura H-6 wagon, with money left over for a Ducati, and a BMW & a nice single (and still enuff for a hifi upgrade)

dave
Old 10th January 2007, 11:05 PM   #17
mach1 is offline mach1  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
some Hammond chokes and ..... presto!
Yeah, but these Hammond chokes are hand wound by Inuit craftsmen in cryogenic chambers.
Old 11th January 2007, 12:11 AM   #18
arnoldc is offline arnoldc  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to arnoldc
Wow! Now I know why my pair of Electrocube caps sound superb Even LAMM uses them
Old 11th January 2007, 01:59 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by serengetiplains
Wow, some Hammond chokes and ..... presto!
Gotta cut corners somewhere to keep the price under $126,290. If he used Lundahl, Magnequest, or Electra-Print for chokes the price would have swelled to at least $126,500!
Old 11th January 2007, 11:16 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jlsem
I wouldn't say Lamm amps are garbage. As a matter of fact they are of excellent quality and performance. However, they are unbelieveably over-priced. That's an understatement.

John
I wouldn't say so either, but that's just plain ridiculous. Anything I could design and build would sound at least as good, and probably better for a price at least a couple of orders in magnitude lower. Here is one big problem:
Quote:
The ML3 is a 32W, no overall feedback, pure Class A single ended amplifier.

(Emphasis Mine)
Unlike these audiophools, I haven't fallen for that nonsense that gNFB is the spawn of the devil. If you start with a good fundamental design, adding gNFB can only improve the performance. gNFB adds compensation for component ageing, improves linearity, and speaker damping. That can only help improve the sonics.

Secondly, I have some doubts as to their choice of power finals. The GM70 requires 20V for the filament. Of course, the GM70 was originally intended for use as an RF final, and in that capacity, it makes no difference. However, for audio, it does. Since the effective plate voltage as seen from the cathode doesn't exceed 5V or so, the voltage gradient along the directly heated cathode can lead to the phenomonon of the "dissappearing cathode" when that voltage exceeds the effective plate voltage, and ceases to emit electrons. This turns a 1.5 law device into a 2.5, or even a 3.5 law device, with much increased distortion as more of the cathode becomes ineffective. This very thing contributes to thereason why the 45 is judged better than the 6A3 (6.3V filament) or the 300B (7.5V filament). It explains why 300Bs run with subnominal filament voltages have better sonics, and why the Chinese are making a 2.5V version of the 300B. There are better choices for audio finals.

All things considered, I know I can build a better amp, and so could quite a few of our regulars. Even all the "special" components they name are available from Mouser.

I don't see anything there that even comes close to justifying a price like that. If I were to spend over a hundred grand for an amp, I'd expect something like this at a bare minimum:

Click the image to open in full size.

Specs:

Plate Dissipation (Max.) 300,000 Watts
Screen Dissipation (Max.) 3,500 Watts
Grid Dissipation (Max.) 1,500 Watts
Frequency for Max. rating (CW) --- MHz
Amplification Factor 4.5
Filament/Cathode Thoriated Tungsten

Voltage: 12.0 Volts
Current: 660 Amps
Capacitance Grounded Cathode

Input: 770 pf
Output: 122 pf
Feedthrough: 4.0 pf

Cooling: Water and Forced Air
Base: Special
Air Socket ---
Air Chimney ---
Boiler ---
Length: 28.8 in; 73.15 cm
Diameter: 12.0 in; 30.48 cm
Weight: 98 lb; 44.5 kg

The saddest thing is that LAMM will probably get it. How people with so little common sense as to fall for a scam like this can accumulate enough $$$$ to afford it is a bigger mystery than the trinity.

Hide this!Advertise here!