• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

high gain 12ax7 preamp from scratch?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there
im looking to build a preamp with 12ax7's for a thick, crunchy sound like a mesa boogie or marshall.
i will be running it through a torque 100w power amp for the clean tight edge.
im wondering if anybody has any schematics for something like this utilising two to four ax7's for some massive metal gain.
the only other answer i can find is to reconstruct a mesa dual rectifier.
if anybody knows where i can get the transformers for the dual rec (to work on 230-240v) could you please tell me.

many modern high gain amps (recto, 515o, Sl0, etc) share the same topology, and the schematics are redily available online. they are very simple... no magic there. You'll need three 12ax7 tubes for the high gain channel (more if you want a clean channel too)... four sections for gain stages, and one section for the cathode follower/buffer to the tone controlls and then another section as an output buffer.

Each stage draws around 1mA@ 350-400v for the high voltage supply, so you only need to be able to source about a dozen mA, but you'll need 900mA for the 6v heaters or 450mA for 12v heaters.

This is not the best place to ask about guitar amps. Click on my profile and drop me a message with your e mail address and I'll help you out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.