Edcor OPT's - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2006, 02:59 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Edcor OPT's

I was wondering if anyone has had any trouble with the cheaper $18 Edcor OPT's as far as noise and the wiring connections are concerned? Since the primary and secondary taps are all on the same side how is the best way to minimize any noise issues?

Thanks in advance.
Old 28th December 2006, 03:24 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Just be sure the power transforner is turned 90 degrees and the grounding is to a star, and you won't have any problems.
Old 28th December 2006, 03:31 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Planned on that. In fact the PT will be at one end and the OPT's at the other similar to Audiotropics Machine. It just seems like there would be less problems by bringing in the B+ on one side of the transformer, while the output would be on the other near side near the edge of the chassis. I'm going to have to cross the secondaries at some point with the B+ I think.
Old 28th December 2006, 03:44 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Haven't got to your e-mail yet. I have been either chained to my computer at work, or traveling 500 miles 6 out of the last 8 weekends to move my mother into assisted living. I got about 200 e-mails to answer.

I have had no issues wiring up the Edcors with out paying much attention to routing the wires. I have even connected them up with clip leads (don't do this at home). The signal levels are very high at this point, so noise pickup is not an issue. Just make sure any low level wiring (like the input connections) does not come near the transformers, and as stated before, make sure the power transformer is rotated 90 degrees from the OPT's. I just wish that Edcor would have put the primary leads (high voltage) on the bottom. It would make them harder to accidentally touch. Put heat shrink on the leads.
Old 28th December 2006, 03:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot. I understand about the not having time thing. I think I might put ventilated boxes over them just because of the location of the primary connections.
Old 28th December 2006, 03:50 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

would it at all be worthwhile to try to take off the mounting bracket and pot these things? the only thing that worries me is heat dissipation.
Old 28th December 2006, 04:26 PM   #7
Zibi is offline Zibi  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sorenj07
would it at all be worthwhile to try to take off the mounting bracket and pot these things? the only thing that worries me is heat dissipation.
Don't worry, solids have the highest heat conductivity.
http://www.clavius.org/heatxfer.html
Old 28th December 2006, 05:51 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Wow. That's kind of weird because on Angela's website, they have the following statement:

Please note, potting these transformers is not recommended and will void the warranty. Mark Mercer of Hammond writes ..."due to the design, our transformers will not last very long if they are potted. The design calls for air-cooling. By potting you trap the core and build up too much heat."

Admittedly it's about hammond's line of 2xx-series power transformers but still. Maybe an email to the Edcor could settle this?
Old 28th December 2006, 06:03 PM   #9
Zibi is offline Zibi  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sorenj07
Wow. That's kind of weird because on Angela's website ...
Rather physics.
Old 28th December 2006, 07:59 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

OK! time for me to start searching this forum about DIY potting. I don't have any fancy vacuum pump equipment but I have to admit, the aesthetics of those open-reel OPT's were most of the deterrence I had from buying them.

Hide this!Advertise here!