Tube Noob! need help with tubes lots of tubes - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th December 2006, 03:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Talking Tube Noob! need help with tubes lots of tubes

Hi this is my first tread here! I found a lot of NOS tubes at a surplus store on the net for about 60$ ! and i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on a line stage or anything really i could build whit this pile of tubes!

Tubes:

4x 6P5
2x 4B31
2x GY501
2x C3gS
2x 6K7 MG
2x R207
6x PB5
8x 1T4
1x 1H6GT sylvania
1x 35Z5GT haltron
6x TX45
1x R212
8x 2J27L
8x 12J1L
Old 27th December 2006, 11:18 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I once met a lady who made "art" out of tubes.

Please give me the 35Z5GT before you decide to do that though...
Old 28th December 2006, 09:46 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

hahahaa! that would be nice!:P but i really would want to make some simple line stage or something!:P i have seen some project once using the C2gS siemens tubes but i cant find it anymore!
Old 28th December 2006, 12:38 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by therapy_fan
hahahaa! that would be nice!:P but i really would want to make some simple line stage or something!:P i have seen some project once using the C2gS siemens tubes but i cant find it anymore!

I've heard of the C3g (excellent pentode) - could be used as a driver tube or perhaps some phono stage.
Old 28th December 2006, 02:58 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

NICE! have to search the net for some info on those!
Old 28th December 2006, 02:58 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

oh sorry i ment the C3gS tubes!:P
Old 28th December 2006, 03:14 PM   #7
Fuling is offline Fuling  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I once met a lady who made "art" out of tubes.
I had a lot of fun with a propane torch and some useless TV tubes a couple of years ago. Once the glass gets hot enough the vacuum starts playing tricks with the tubeīs shape.
A friend did the same thing with a quartet of dead 6L6īs and put them in his fathers EL34 PP amp...
Old 22nd January 2009, 08:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Don't Despise Your Oddball Tubes

Dear therapy_fan,

Your list of type numbers contains many useful tubes. Don't despise them just because they are oddball types. I don't have experience with all items you mention, but I have used some of them in my own DIY projects. Here is what they are (or seem to be):

6P5 - octal triode (medium mu).
4B31 - high-voltage clipper diode (not very useful for audio).
GY501 - high-voltage diode (not very useful for audio).
C3G - very nice pentode, can also be used as triode, for audio.
6K7 - octal pentode (rather old-fashioned).
R207 - directly heated triode from the 1930s for telephony purposes.
PB5 - I assume this is a misspelling for RB-5 (the Cyrillic letter R looks like a Western letter P): this is an overvoltage protection device, rather useless unless you want to connect it as a spark gap to your outdoor antenna!
1T4 - nice battery tube, pentode, can also be used as triode, for audio.
1H6GT - battery tube - combined triode and double diode, can be used for audio but very low power/anode current and probably microphonic.
35Z5GT - diode rectifier, can be used in power supply to power audio project.
TX45 - the label on this tube has Cyrillic characters, therefore the proper type number is TCh4B (the Russian X sign is like the Greek chi): this is a cold-cathode tube, thyratron for use in Russian television sets from the tube era (channel selection). Not very useful but can be used for experiments, e.g. the building of a sawtooth generator.
R212: directly heated double triode from the 1930s.
2J27L: Russian battery tube (pentode, directly heated), also transcribed as 2SH27L, intended for HF use, but can also be employed for audio with good results, e.g. in triode mode.
12J1L: Russian battery tube (pentode, indirectly heated), also transcribed as 12SH1L, for HF and audio use, can also be employed in triode mode.

On the web, you can find schematics for the 2J27L, 12J1L, 1T4 and C3G, particularly in the German-, Russian- and Hungarian-speaking parts of the world. I have myself experimented with the first 3 of these. My friend Jim de Kort (fellow Dutchman) has experimented with the 1H5GT.

If you send me some additional details regarding your wishes (what kind of preamp would you like to build?), I can send you schematics and give some advice. May send you also datasheets if you are interested.

Best regards from Holland,

arensattic

(Aren van Waarde, Ph.D.,
Nuclear Medicine & Molecular Imaging,
University Medical Center Groningen)
Old 22nd January 2009, 10:32 PM   #9
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I agree that 1T4 (a.k.a. DF91?) is a nice miniature 7-pin battery pentode. It needs 1.4 v for the filament. I built my very first single tube grid-leak detector AM headphone receiver with reaction control using this little tube, with a Repanco LW/MW tuning coil.
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:31 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default nice new postīs

Hello arensattic and ray_moth

Thx for the nice info of my tubes! i haveīt had much luck finding a really really simple project for Them.

if you have any schematics, datasheetīs of 2J27L, 12J1L, 1T4, C3G or any of the other audio tubes i would be really thankful

Actualy yesterday i made my first half working tube amp!

Itīs a SE el84. have som probs with the powersupply but i hope i will get it working to 100% tomorrow!

thx once again for the totally unexpected replays!

really made my day!

Mattias (Therapy_Fan@hotmail.com

Hide this!Advertise here!