basie+aikido preamp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2006, 01:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default basie+aikido preamp

What do you think about?:

http://www.diyhifisupply.com/diyhs_basie.htm

It looks very good !

Alessandro
Old 23rd December 2006, 09:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Old 23rd December 2006, 10:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I would want to see more pictures & drawings / schematics ... and a little more about the quality of parts used, etc.

But, you know, for 100 dollars US shipping and 600 dollars US for the basic kit ... without all the needed parts ? === mmmm ... I gotta know more.

Old 23rd December 2006, 10:39 PM   #4
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

I thought that kits would be with ALL parts needed
Old 23rd December 2006, 10:49 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Level1 = US$595
Level2 = US$745
Level3 = US$990

Assembled (tested?) = US$1140 ... plus shipping to USA with possible variation = US$109 ... total = US$1240 or so ...

And that certainly should deserve some better pictures, inside and out ...

Duties may apply into Italy or the USA depending on such factors as which port of entry and the state of health of your local tax man ... unassembled electronic parts kits are supposed to be GATT Duty Free World Wide (except for local VAT/VAR/Vigorish/Payolla, etc.) ...

Old 24th December 2006, 05:03 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

They use courier - watch those brokerage fees even with zero duty!!!!!! FedEx is the absolute worst for this.

Have then send it "Air, Land and Water" postal service (that's what .cn/.hk post calls it). Good chance it'll match a courier's speed and will be far cheaper shipping wise.
Old 24th December 2006, 12:23 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Just now I've sent an enquiry mail to diyhifisupply.com about
shipment (and taxes!) to Italy...!
I'm waiting for the answer...
But the preamp seems interesting

Alessandro
Old 24th December 2006, 03:58 PM   #8
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Why not just buy an Aikido board in one of the group buys or see link below and get a nice box from http://www.hifi2000.it/

http://www.tubecad.com/

Link to Aikido boards starting at $24: http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/

I bet you can build it for a bit less, choose your own parts, and have a bit of fun along the way.

Plenty of people would be willing to advise you have further questions..

Merry Christmas!

Edit: Added link
Old 24th December 2006, 06:04 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default duties & taxes

" ... FedEx is the absolute worst for this. ..."

Actually it depends on the Port of Entry. If FedEx packages come into the lower 48 States via Alaska, then the US Customs and FedEx brokerage can often mess thing up and try to extract some extra vigorish ... Into LAX, no problem-o ... I have been in dispute w/FedEx for more than a year for this very thing. UPS = No problems. I'm sure there is a blog somewhere for importers and exporters ... Generally, European imports entering the USA from the East Coast = no problem-o as long as these are clearly marked as "GATT Duty Free Electronic Parts".

As many Canadians already know, imports from the USA or elsewhere should enter through the West, not through Toronto or Quebec = big chance of extra taxes being levied. We ship via DHL or FedEx into eastern Canada = no problem-o ... UPS = ... Imports into Canada from the Korea or China (Taiwan, Hong Kong or the mainland) or Singapore, etc. usually don't have any problems, east or west, mostly because these come into BC Port of Entry ... I don't have any reports re: European imports into Canada via East Coast POE's. ...

Depends on the carrier, depends on the Port of Entry, depends on the method of shipment (Standard, Express, Express Overnight, etc.), it may depend on the health or wealth of the carrier's agents or the time of day ... Suprisingly, US Global Mail doesn't seem to have any problems with duties on small shipments ...

I still want to see pictures of anything I buy worth more than US$100.00 and I would like to see an assembly manual and lots of pictures of anything worth more than US$1000 ... ... These guys have it close to right: http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/ ... no full kits though ...
Old 24th December 2006, 06:22 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

When shipping into Italy, we always use DHL, but we have never had a problem shipping by FedEx International Express or UPS International Express to anywhere in Europe as long as the packages are clearly marked as "GATT Duty Free Electronic Parts". If the package is heavy (>> 2 kilos) then there is a likely chance the packages will be inspected for "duties due", but if it is just a big bag of electronic parts, then = no problems. EXCEPTIONS: Whole Goods (assembled and tested, ready for resale) = VAT or sales taxes due.

Any shipment arriving in Mexico City = duty questions = duty questions are resolved by paying the man, no other way. Shipments to other Mexician POE's = usually no problems.

Shipments from North America to South America can almost always have extra duties assessed ... unless it is shipped by US Global Mail and marked as "NAFTA Duty Free Electronic Parts". (I understand that Austrialian shipments into South America usually have no problems as long as marked as "Electronic Parts containing no media".

Hide this!Advertise here!