Is the E86L the industrial sister of the EL86? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th December 2006, 11:35 PM   #1
bembel is offline bembel  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bembel
Question is the E86L the industial sister of the EL86 ?

Hi all,

I'm looking for some info regarding the E86L tube (including pinout), I want to know if it could be replaced by an EL86.
I had yet a bad surprise with an E80F that was not an industrial EF80 (with different pinout).

Thanks
Old 20th December 2006, 03:24 AM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hmm, I thought that the industrial versions always followed that format. For example I have replaced ECC83 with E83CC and these were identical except for more rugged construction. Can you compare one against the other to see if they are the same? I found no reference on Franks or in the vade mecum..
Old 20th December 2006, 11:55 AM   #3
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Likewise, I've always assumed that the reversal of letters simply meant the industrial version, but why shouldn't this mean a completely different valve? After all, if the valve is being made differently (better cathode, more rigid grid structure, or whatever) then it genuinely is a different valve and we should not expect the pin-out to be the same. I think we've been lulled by all these badge-engineered modern production valves into thinking that an industrial version should simply be the standard valve with gold-plated pins, tinted balloon envelope and extra hype...
Old 20th December 2006, 12:18 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: is the E86L the industial sister of the EL86 ?

Quote:
Originally posted by bembel
Hi all,

I'm looking for some info regarding the E86L tube (including pinout), I want to know if it could be replaced by an EL86.
I had yet a bad surprise with an E80F that was not an industrial EF80 (with different pinout).

Thanks
Are you shure, that you have a E86L (maybe a E80L)?

Andreas
Old 20th December 2006, 12:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks all,
After I spent a part of my night with old databooks and a magnifier, it appears that the E86L is, indeed, the industrial sister of the EL86. (absolutly Sure it's not an EL80 Andreas)

But I'm very distrust now, since my adventure with the E80F (that is not an EF80 !!!), This said I'm still lookiing for an E80F replacement too.

Thanks
Old 20th December 2006, 01:03 PM   #6
Yvesm is offline Yvesm  France
diyAudio Member

Hi Bembel

Quote:
Originally posted by bembel
. . .
This said I'm still lookiing for an E80F replacement too.

Thanks
Look at EF86, at least it shares the same pinout with E80F and specs are near enought to be substitued at no risk.
EF86 asks for lower heather current and has a higher Rp but is limited to 1W Pd while E80F is stated for 1,3W.

May be your circuit does not worry about.

Yves.
Old 20th December 2006, 01:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

My E83CC were Philips miniwatt, and I wish I had some now. They were electrically equivalent to the standard ECC83 differing only in the ruggedness of construction. (There was less difference between them and the standard miniwatt than there is brand to brand variation. And they were very good.)

Every single European industrial type (nos) I have ever run across adhered to the rule. AFAIK no one is currently making anything that sells under these part numbers, but I imagine someone will soon..

I am really puzzled about the EF80 E80F issue, is it that you tried to replace an E80F with EF80 or vice versa? Is it possible one of the two was a remark of something else? Did they look at all alike internally?
Old 20th December 2006, 01:44 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinkr

I am really puzzled about the EF80 E80F issue, is it that you tried to replace an E80F with EF80 or vice versa? Is it possible one of the two was a remark of something else? Did they look at all alike internally?

Yes I replaced an E80F by a EF80 ---> clearly different pinouts @ TDSL datasheets.
Old 20th December 2006, 02:06 PM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

Ouch! Sorry to hear that - sounds like you will need another E80F.. Apparently the CV2729 (probably hard to find) is a sub for this tube - I was looking for other equivalents, so far none.

It's very odd, the two parts are entirely different - and not just the pin out.. I will no longer assume that the rule holds fast for all types. Pays to check first..
Old 20th December 2006, 02:16 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

In french, we have a locution for this:
"C'est l'exception qui confirme la règle"

It roughly means that each standard always have is exception ( or it's not really a standard !?! )

;-) This sais E80F is the only exception I've found for now.

Hide this!Advertise here!