A basic question regarding transformer laminations - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th December 2006, 12:19 AM   #1
KT is offline KT  United States
diyAudio Member

Default A basic question regarding transformer laminations

Hello, Can anyone tell me if a transformer relies on electrical contact between the laminations for proper operation or not? My concern is that I have some small output transformers that seem to be susceptible to rust. If I coated them with a varnish, should I be concerned about the varnish seeping in between the laminations and insulating them from one another? Or does this not matter? Thanks, KT
Old 17th December 2006, 12:21 AM   #2
Tim__x is offline Tim__x  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quite the opposite, the whole point of the laminations is to reduce conductivity The laminations must be insulated from each other to reduce eddy current losses.
Old 17th December 2006, 01:19 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

As well, if the rust has started, it may not be possible to stop it.

Of course, oxygen is needed to propogate rust, which your varnish may help somewhat.
However, the very fact that you have rust says the xfmrs were either stored in a poor environment, or were not manufactured proprerly.
Old 17th December 2006, 02:15 AM   #4
KT is offline KT  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you. That sheds some light on things. Well, the rust has not started, but the lams are made of a metal that seems likely to rust at some point. I may be wrong, but I just wanted to take precautions. Thank you, again, for the insight. Best, KT
Old 18th December 2006, 08:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim__x
Quite the opposite, the whole point of the laminations is to reduce conductivity The laminations must be insulated from each other to reduce eddy current losses.
Anyone who has magnetics knowledge will immediately recognise a horrible habit that many manufacturers are adopting to save assembly costs and that is welding the laminations.. welding relies on to some extent that the laminations aren't short ciruited on the other end....this hardly appears in practise and a temp rise is expected from eddy current motor effect. The obvious stray leakage inductance and construction assembly from such a grotty method is only applicable for non-audio applications. A choke may perhaps be exception where a calculated gap is permitted.

It's fair to mention that I recently asked a quotation for a custom low power mains tranny specifically for an audio application with lower Bmax and insisted that laminations be strictly E&I interleaved. The pending manufacturer (who claimed had years of Xformer experience) said this wasn't possible. Rubbish ! No deal and total lack of applications experience. Are universities producing overqualified who know nothing about practical physics ?
The irony is the same time I also applied the same spec to a UK transformer manufacturer and got a reply within hours, " size, Bmax, regulation factor no problem". Accepted offer.

For others after a custom transformer for a specific project, carefully tabulate a specification exactly what you are after. These days everyone cuts corners.

richj

Hide this!Advertise here!