diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   SCA-35 Dynaco (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/92196-sca-35-dynaco.html)

bri2u2002 13th December 2006 08:43 PM

SCA-35 Dynaco

Hi,

I see some nice condition SCA-35 on E-bay sometimes. Would that be a good place to start??

Basically I want a decent tube amp for a turn-table.

This would be my first foray into the world of tubes and wan't something reliable and functional.

any advice would be great- Thanks!!

SY 13th December 2006 09:04 PM

That is a very nice place to start. Simple, sounds OK, and easy to upgrade as you learn more. Tubes are easily available, too.

bri2u2002 14th December 2006 08:55 PM

Hi,

I got what looks to be very nice condition one on Ebay for $200.

I'm setting this up basically for vinyl. I've heard of things like phono stage pre-amps and things.

Is this an option I should look at? Any advice to get the most out of this thing??

Brian

SY 14th December 2006 11:25 PM

Replace the electrolytic capacitors and the tubes. The coupling caps would also be something I'd go after. Don't use fashion parts, normal polypropylene caps (e.g., Wima MKP or 715P Orange Drops) will be fine in this circuit. Clean the switches and potentiometers with spray contact cleaner and some rotation. Then sit back and enjoy.

After you've got it refurbished and used it for a while, we can talk about upgrades.

bri2u2002 15th December 2006 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SY
Replace the electrolytic capacitors and the tubes. The coupling caps would also be something I'd go after. Don't use fashion parts, normal polypropylene caps (e.g., Wima MKP or 715P Orange Drops) will be fine in this circuit. Clean the switches and potentiometers with spray contact cleaner and some rotation. Then sit back and enjoy.

After you've got it refurbished and used it for a while, we can talk about upgrades.

Hi Thanks,

Where would I find things like that??

Brian

SY 15th December 2006 01:27 AM

Digikey, Mouser, Triode Electronics, Tubes And More... there's no shortage of suppliers.

And I'll plug, for the millionth time, a book that you should not be without if you want to get serious about tubes: "Valve Amplifiers" by Morgan Jones. Readable and comprehensive.

bri2u2002 15th December 2006 01:45 AM

Hi Thanks.

I love my records and music in general. Someone turned me on to the Lenco rebuilds and I thought that was cool so I got one of those and I'm working on the plinth.

I started thinking about Amps and had heard great things about tubes. So here I am!! Building a plinth I understand. Replacing capacitors not so much lol but with time comes knowledge

It is whole new world and kind of intimidating but it looks to be a great hobby and I look forward to learning as much as I can.

Brian

SY 15th December 2006 01:51 AM

Tubes are addictive. I built my first tube amp about 40 years ago and haven't been able to shake the habit.

anatech 15th December 2006 03:01 AM

Hi Brian,
SY is right on the money! I love good tube gear.

Understand that whatever you pick up is probably over 40 years old. It will need some rebuilding. Don't even bother turning it on until this is done. Bad things may happen if you do.

Sy is also right about part types, you want good parts and the normal ones are. Magic parts do not exist.

-Chris

bri2u2002 15th December 2006 03:52 AM

Hi,

What would you guys suggest for speakers.? Untechnically speaking.

I have a Lenco l75 w/ planned Rega rb300 tone-arm and now the dynaco sca-35.

No good if I can't listen to it though. In the $2- 400 range. would be good.

Brian