Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2006, 03:07 AM   #11
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Brian,
You will need to find something you like. At that power level you might be served well with speakers 90 dB per watt or above. The actual speaker you like is going to be hard for anyone to guess at. Expensive speakers will sound better to more people. Once you start going down in price it becomes more what tradeoffs you personally can deal with.

I'm sure SY may have some suggestions for you. Klipsch make decent sounding speakers and are efficient. There are many horn types out there also. A speaker design where you build the boxes and crossover would get you the best sound. Often because manufacturers do not build boxes the optimal size. Think shipping and weight. Now you know why.

-Chris
Old 15th December 2006, 03:22 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Well I have no idea really. My brother had a pair of Bose 301 many years ago.

I'm just wondering if you guys know a certain type or manufacturer that would go with the Sca-35 system. I'd be happy to let you guys pick-em out considering I don't know anything.

$2oo to $400 range

I'll look at klipsh- thanks
Old 15th December 2006, 01:24 PM   #13
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bri2u2002
I'm just wondering if you guys know a certain type or manufacturer that would go with the Sca-35 system....
Speakers are almost (or maybe even more?) personal a choice than amplifiers! Everyone will have some input re: efficiency, coloration, bass response, bass reflex vs. acoustic suspension vs. open baffle vs. horn etc. etc..

The choice also depends on the type of music you listen to, how loud you like to listen, the size of your listening room, etc. etc.. It is easy to get paralyzed by indecision trying to balance all the factors!

So... How about a pair of Dynaco A25s? A good sounding 10 inch two way from the same company that made your amp. Not horribly efficient (I think about 90dB/W/1M?) so window shaking SPLs aren't likely with (an optimistic) 17.5WPC. I have a pair I have used with a 7 watt SET and unless I'm trying to shake the walls they work just fine. Usually on eBay for less than $200/pair.

Another very nice speaker in the 'budget' price range is the Advent/1 (yes I have a pair of those as well). These aren't the original 'Large Advents' but a later version. Also a 10" two way. A bit larger than the Dynaco A25. The Advents are acoustic suspension (no port) and are slightly less efficient than the A25s at about 87dB (IIRC). Again with non-ear-bleeding volume levels they will work with 17.5WPC. This model is rarer on eBay than the A25 but when available seem to go for $200-$250.
Old 15th December 2006, 02:27 PM   #14
ArtG is offline ArtG  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi! My current speakers are a pair of Altec Boleros, with which I am quite pleased. They are 10" with a 10 passive and a small hf horn. Altec didn't publish the efficiency rating on this system, but I'd guess it's in the range of 94-96 dB/w, as Altec (the original company, not the current "computer speaker" company), didn't build low efficiency speakers. These show up fairly regularly on eBay in the $200-400 range, although the price has been going up lately, as more people "catch on" to what these are. If you are interested, try for the "B" or "C" model, as the "A" has a horn that's unrepairable and nearly unreplaceable, except at a very high cost.
IMHO, I'd avoid "BOSE" speakers!
Old 15th December 2006, 06:44 PM   #15
diyAudio Moderator

Bose 301's are terrible speakers. Not efficient either.

-Chris
Old 16th December 2006, 08:02 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I got my sca-35 today! So I'm in the club. I don't know what I'm looking at other than the tubes themselves.

Is a capacitor what you plug the tube into???
Old 16th December 2006, 11:41 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

No, tubes plug into tube sockets. I'd suggest that you browse the internet for some basic electronics tutorials--there are a number of these available for free. I'd also suggest that you purchase and read a couple books on the same subject, before you do anything. Also read the permanently posted documentation on basic safety proceedures in electronics thats near the top of the list of posts, on the opening page.
Old 16th December 2006, 11:52 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I just noticed............. there is a post just below the above mentioned "Safety Practices........" , post, that references online materials for "Newbies". It points to a considerable number of good educational sources. Some, however, are for novices, while others are far more advanced. You really need to spend some time in both these posts. Good Luck!
Old 17th December 2006, 05:19 AM   #19
diyAudio Moderator

Hi bri2u2002,
Quote:
I don't know what I'm looking at other than the tubes themselves.
Then plug your new purchase into a good service shop for a check out. If you don't, you may kill it the first time you plug it in.

-Chris
Old 17th December 2006, 11:07 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

If you've got deep enough pockets I would recommend the original Quad ESL's with the SCA-35. They work like magic together.

If you don't need the tone and balance controls, bypass them, the unit will sound a whole lot better without them.

Sheldon

Hide this!Advertise here!