• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Nixie bargraph as a audio VU-meter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought some nixie bargraph's (IN-9 and IN-13) an i intend to use them as audio VU-meters for my amp, but i seems to be a hard job to "google" a schematic to drive them.

Is here anyone who can help me getting a schematic or so?

Thanks anyway.

wim said:
I bought some nixie bargraph's (IN-9 and IN-13) an i intend to use them as audio VU-meters for my amp, but i seems to be a hard job to "google" a schematic to drive them.

Is here anyone who can help me getting a schematic or so?

As usual, the neonixie-l group on Yahoo!!!! is your friend. (I note that several of us lurk here, including the incredible Alek and his home-made tubes - he's still the only person we know to have made a home-made nixie.).

See the files section:
Files > Other readout technologies > Neon Bargraph Indicators

For drivers, see:

VU driver for IN-13 & IN-9

Various driving strategies for IN-9 & IN-13

A simple kit to play with...

HTH

I once built one with cheap parts I had laying around.
The IN9/13 tube here is represented by a 2k resistor.

Only problem i remember was the lin/log conversion (the opamp with two transistors) wasnt very stable. You need to glue the two transistors together for temp correction.

If I had to remake it, i'd simply use an old radio tube: EBF80
If you are using balanced signals in all your amps, like me, it's a piece of cake to design a circuit to use this tube to drive an IN9/13

Attachments

• vu-meter.gif
    vu-meter.gif
    18.6 KB · Views: 410
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.