• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Is this OK for a heater supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all. I just modeled a a heater supply for my Aikido headphone amp. It's pretty much a result of my neanderthal thinking. My mains AC doesn't swing a whole lot so I don't think a regulated supply is absolutely necessary. Anyway, would you call this idea stupid? What should I do differently?

Attachments

• fil.png
    fil.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 489
I just built a regulated DC filament supply for a hybrid amp I'm working on. Four 1N4007s,1 100uF 25V electrolytic, 1 LM317, 2 resistors (1/2W). Total cost (since I have about 10 LM317s here I got for twelve cents each) about $3.50 US. The perfboard I mounted it on is about 1/3 of the cost.

I'm thinking about making PC boards to use the LM350 per SY's suggestion for amps needing more than 1.5A of heater current. Also it would be easy to use a 12.6VAC source for both 12.6V and 6.3V heaters just by adding one more LM350 (or 317) and two more resistors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.