• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Favorite Output Tube?

Currently it's the EL38. I made many experiments with this tube and now I'm building two monoblocks.
Here two pics, The Frame for the chassis isn't ready yet.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I love uncommon tubes and love especially uncommon circuits for them !

Tubes like the above mentioned EL38 or the EC8020 and many others are my passion (I'm not keen on talking about that all, because then the prices will explode and everybody wants them. Happend all to often ! Example is the EL509/EL519/PL509/PL519. A few years ago you could get them cheap at Ebay, a few bucks for a couple. And now ? Just look !. All because a few guys published their High-End Amps with this tube. And of course it is labeled with that stupid DIamond, even it wasn't manufactured by Tele...)

Also I love strange circuit Ideas, like a full bridge, a single ended circlotron or the so called "Accordion Amp".

Regards, Simon

I´m not sure I can pick an absolute favorite, but I´ve had good luck with the following tubes:

PCL82 (16A8)
6B4G
PL519

There are others too, but of all the tubes I´ve played around with these ones has made impressions.
No fancy stuff at all, but they have certain qualitys.

Golden Boy

I didn't know it was picture day! Here's one of my EL84 "Golden Boys".

~~~Johnny~~~

Attachments

• golden.jpg
    golden.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,896
Johnny,
I haven't tried the KT77 in other modes but a fellow audio nutter just down the steet from me has used them in Pentode mode in a guitar amp in place of EL34 and he claimed it made a huge improvement in the bottom end. He's a very experience guitarist and reasonably knowledgable amp builder / repairer so I respect his opinion.

The KT77 has a Screen Grid voltage rating of 800V (same as the anode rating) and that makes it very suitable for Ultralinear Connection.

Cheers,
Ian