• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

A wiring question.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

G

Joined 2002
Hello all,

I have a basic question. Let's say that I have a CLCRC power supply in the amp that I'm building. The amp is a PP EL84. The two center taps from the output transformers connect at the second cap in the filter (220uF 450v). Then comes a 5K resistor in the filter section after which two wires leading to the plate resistors of two separate 12AX7's are connected at the third capacitor (also 220UF 450v). My question is this: Can I twist the ouput transformer center tap wires and the 12AX& plate wires together for the sake of neat routing without any ill effects. The wires will be at two different potentials with respect to ground. I'm thinking that the wire with the higher voltage might impose a hum into the 12AX7 plate wire but I may be splitting hairs.

G

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
TWISTED

Hi,

12AX7's are connected at the third capacitor (also 220UF 450v). My question is this: Can I twist the ouput transformer center tap wires and the 12AX& plate wires together for the sake of neat routing without any ill effects.

Don't do this.
Keep the wires separate,don't twist them together.
You would induce stray capacitance and crosstalk between the stages.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.