EIMAC toobz : What sort of PSU ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2006, 09:25 PM   #1
coresta is offline coresta  France
diyAudio Member

Default EIMAC toobz : What sort of PSU ?

Hi Tubeholics I'm planning a pair of 100TH PP ala Sakuma (see the 304TL ) driven by an HK54 . I think i'll feed each one with a single 5R4 with a 1100 CT Xformer . Should i put another transformer with another 5r4 ? I think not as the PP will not reach 100mA continuous (-15v bias) Pro and contra single or pair ? any result on sound ? I have a pair of A5 Votts to play with for the HF (OTL is for the LF)
Old 13th December 2006, 06:11 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: EIMAC toobz : What sort of PSU ?

Quote:
Originally posted by coresta
Hi Tubeholics I'm planning a pair of 100TH PP ala Sakuma (see the 304TL ) driven by an HK54 .
You definitely should go to the experts on HV tube amps - The GM70 Boatanchors Amp Club. Nothing but serious high voltage, big bottle, projects - 304TL, 75TL, GM70 - you name it, they build it. Lots of 100TH experience over there.

Plus an archive of schematics of power supplies and signal sections.

That's the best source of HV advice and experience. Better than theory, someone will actually have built a 100TH PP amp and tried different configurations.

I'm thinking about a 100TH or GM70 SET driven by a 75TL. Other drivers are 6EM7 dual-plate triode/triode or 6BM8 dual-plate triode/pentode.
Old 13th December 2006, 07:05 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you Darkmoebius, i ddn't know this group even if i'm still member of the Tektronix scopes group
Old 13th December 2006, 03:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thank you Darkmoebius, i ddn't know this group even if i'm still member of the Tektronix scopes group
You have to join the group to read forum messages and view the file archives. It took about a week for that to happen. Seems like a long time, but it is definitely worth it. I found great discussions of input/driver stages, power supplies, tubes, filtering, etc.

The great thing about the Boatanchor group is that the more adventurous the idea, the more everyone likes it.
Old 13th December 2006, 08:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Ok , i joined ... but i'm not registred at this moment ..
Old 14th December 2006, 12:31 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ok , i joined ... but i'm not registered at this moment ..
That's exactly how I felt. Like a little kid at Christmas time, I kept checking everyday until I was finally let in.

Right now, I am trying to learn how to calculate the output power of transmitting tubes in SE. I really need to go back and fully learn the basics of tube design.
Old 14th December 2006, 02:44 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ok , i joined ... but i'm not registred at this moment ..
I just joined also. It seems that they already have a Tublab registered.

Ill bet thy dont have anyone who hooks up an 833A using hose clamps, and Vise Grips!
Old 14th December 2006, 06:23 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tubelab.com
Ill bet thy dont have anyone who hooks up an 833A using hose clamps, and Vise Grips!
From what I've read in the last week(including your insane site), you'll fit right in.

And no, I don't think anyone has put together monster amps like yours with vice grips and lived. Let alone, plugged in a guitar and let it rip. You'll definitely add some spice to the mix.

Hide this!Advertise here!