• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

To hell with pride. I need help w. Grounded grid Pre-amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some years ago I got ahold of "Audio reality" and bought the parts for the grounded grid preamplifier. Since then I have built and rebuilt it about four times without getting it to work properly. And this is supposed to be an moderately easy project, or so i'm told.
Since I now have spent enough money to build it twice (if it worked) I can't just throw it out, and I have been close a couple of times...
So I downloaded Eagle and a library containing tubes but couldn't get it to work, some problem with pins unable to get wired or connected, so as a final solution I am forced to ask for help.

So, is there a kind soul here who has the book and can design a PCB for both the PSU and the amplifierstage on one or two boards?
Ofcourse without parts designated since it is a lisenced product after all.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Kmj, learn to produce your own footprints, and you'll never look back. There are a couple of good tutorials on the net, and once you get it down then you will find nothing is beyond you. I think there is even a script generator somewhere on the web that does circular arrays of pins. Go for it!

edit: And you will most likely find that your valve socket pinout doesn't actually match any of the available footprints anyway, they are usually larger or smaller in diameter, and different drill sizes, as sockets are totally non standard. This has caught me before...

Kmj, learn to produce your own footprints, and you'll never look back. There are a couple of good tutorials on the net, and once you get it down then you will find nothing is beyond you.

Oh, I can make PCBs and use Eagle, no problems there. But I can't get the library containing the sockets to work. Some of the connections to the different pins doesn't connect. So to speak.

Is there a schematic diagram or a link to this somewere?
No, only in the book Audio reality. I was hoping that someone who owned it hade made something but I guess that I'll just have to sit down with pensil and paper instead.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.