• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Telefunken 5094

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have the possibility of picking up a Telefunken 5094 console. I have often pined for vintage consoles to re-buld and/or modernize. Is this something that could yield nice SET's? The tube compliment is as follows:

ECC85
EF89
ECH81
EF89
EABC80
ECC83
2*ECL82
EM84

This is assumed to be per channel.

Am I looking to spend a lot of money on tubes that may or may not be for the asking in the world at this time? Are the drivers possibly worth it? The price is VERY attractive...even just for chassis, console and iron to salvage.

croat47 said:
I have the possibility of picking up a Telefunken 5094 console... Is this something that could yield nice SET's? The tube compliment is as follows:

ECC85
EF89
ECH81
EF89
EABC80
ECC83
2*ECL82
EM84

This is assumed to be per channel.

ECC85, EF89, ECH81, and probably EABC80 are definitely not per channel as these are parts of the tuner. ECC83 is probably part of the stereo decoder, ECL82s are the audio amp and EM84 is the indicator tube for the tuner.
If it uses 2xECL82 per channel, it's a PP amp, but if I was guessing, it's one ECL82 per channel, running SET pentode or ultralinear, giving 4W or so of power output.

So, as I feared: this is actually a radio with a stereo out. Is it worth trying to use the transformers and tubes? If the tubes are bad...how expensive can it get to replace them...at least the gain and rectofer stages?

Are the old Telefunken speakers worth salvage?

Thanks for the head's up about the rectifier. Anyone else have info there?

It's $100 and I would have to borrow a truck for a 4 hour (round trip) drive. It presently does not emit sound of any kind. So, I would be in for a repair job...or salvage of the speakers which may or may not be in great shape. The good news: the dust cover is still with it.

The thing looks like this:

Attachments

• 1107_1.jpg
    1107_1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 271
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That will surely be stereo single-ended... 6BM8s (ECL82s) are common & cheap... i have lots of the other tubes you'd be welcome too (except ECC83 & the EM84s will be a bit faded).

The drivers & the ECC83 (if an original TFK & in good condition) are probably worth enuff to warrant the asking, The TFK OPTs are very nice.

If it is unworking these German consoles are a mess to work on, much as it would be sad to do so, i'd just gut it and start over. If the OPTs are meaty enuff you could do an EL84 or 6V6 SE (often the same OPTs were used across a wide range of models)

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.