Found a power transformer, what to do with it? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2006, 03:27 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Found a power transformer, what to do with it?

OK, first of all, I'll admit right now that this is kind of a backward way of doing things. Usually you set your eyes on a tube you want to play with before designing/searching a design that you like. Well, I just happened to find a power transformer but I've no idea what I could do with it. The secondary is rated 120V/0.6A (no CT). However, since the primary winding is rated for 220V and my mains is 230V, I get a bit more voltage from the secondary (about 136V no-load). I also have some other stuff lying around, like some tube sockets etc. I did a few simulations on PSUD, and I could build a nice 150-160V B+ supply out of this transformer. OK great! But what to power with it? Anything goes; preamps, headphone amps, power amps. Suggestions?
Old 5th December 2006, 04:01 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

A number of low- voltage tubes can be used - unlikely you'll need much of the 600 mA capacity. One more possibility - you could get about 160 mA at 300V with a doubler. Plenty for a stereo SE amp, or mono push-pull.
Old 5th December 2006, 11:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Blacklight,

Tom Bavis give a GOOD hint in mentioning a voltage doubler. Your trafo will supply the B+ needs of an "El Cheapo". "El Cheapo" is an "integrated" amp that reaches full power when driven by a CDP.
Old 6th December 2006, 12:54 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Have a look at SY's Heretical Line Stage. it's easy to build and a great performer.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 6th December 2006, 12:57 AM   #5
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

How about an Aikido using 6922 valves? Should be pretty happy at the B+ your trafo can provide.

Or maybe a headphone amp?
Old 6th December 2006, 01:03 AM   #6
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

choke loaded 12B4 ...............extensive CRCRC filter
Old 6th December 2006, 01:15 AM   #7
arnoldc is offline arnoldc  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to arnoldc
WE417A / 5842 transformer-coupled headphone amplifier
Old 6th December 2006, 01:42 AM   #8
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Found a power transformer, what to do with it?

Quote:
Originally posted by blacklight
OK, first of all, I'll admit right now that this is kind of a backward way of doing things.
Not according to my way of thinking...
Old 6th December 2006, 07:25 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Ha! paulb: point taken. Wow, I never thought I'd have this many replies. Thanks for all the suggestions. I did concider that voltage doubler, and while it does seem attractive, I think I'll have to do it another time (I may be able to get my hands on another of these trafos). Looks like I'll be building an Aikido Low impedance headphone amp, since that's something I need. Thanks all, you've been most helpful, again.

Hide this!Advertise here!