• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help! Upgrade a Music Angel KT88

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My MA ... original pics .... no mods made.
Global inside pic and 2 pics of the end stage pcb.

Attachments

• img0191www.jpg
    img0191www.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 565
  • img0186m.jpg
    img0186m.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 534
  • img0187p.jpg
    img0187p.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 527
Power Supply part

Left pic:
var. resistor short side on pcb --> bias B
var. resistor left on long side pcb --> bias A
the other one ... filament hum removal

Right pic:
var. resistor short side pcb --> bias C
var. resistor right on long side pcb --> bias D
the other one ... the other filament hum remover

Attachments

• img0188ysy.jpg
    img0188ysy.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 486
  • img0189vpc.jpg
    img0189vpc.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:
I am still waiting for my Music Angel to arrive from Hong Kong and am eager to start working on it - so this is my first comment on this forum. It really sounds to me that the whistling problem is being caused by instability. This may be due to any one of the following or a combination. A microphonically sensitive valve - a wiring layout problem around the valve base (causing pickup), missing or wrong components in that part of the circuit, the need for a decoupling capacitor that may not have been included in the original design. I hope this has helped a little. I will no doubt become more familiar with the problems of this amp when I recieve mine in a few days time.

Holy thread resurrection!

I have an MA kt88 awaiting attention. It's new and I bought it cheaper without tubes so I can put my own circuit in, just using the old iron in it.

The problem with most of the hopeless GNFB circuits around is that the designer somehow hopes that the NFB will somehow ignore the phase shifts and frequency extremes (areas with loss rather than gain) and not screw itself up.

My MA design will not have a GNFB loop for this reason, in fact the only feedback will be on the primary side of the transformer, and I'll be driving the transformer with a low impedance source - a sure fire way of getting the best out of an output transformer. Especially compared to a barely functional and laggy NFB loop messing things up!

So yes I like the MA kt88, but as a DIY building block :)

Hi, recently my friend from Scotland asked me thoroughly reworked its amplifier MA800. It worked perfectly! The input stage operates in SRPP / ECC83 /. Phase inverter operates in parallel with a common cathode / ECC81 / and final stage of AutoBias / EL34 /. UPS is operating in a bridge configuration / no-voltage Doubler / - transformers connected in series. The effect is excellent. Yours Dinkers

Attachments

• mau0u.jpg
    mau0u.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 171
  • ma8002.jpg
    ma8002.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Music Angel

Hi Gary, I adjusted all the Chinese amplifiers. Gladly will put diagrams, but I have to find them and draw. Another amp I made the 6SL7 and 6SN7 tubes. Beautifully played by me MA845 modified. This is worth doing, because they have excellent output transformers / core /. In drawing this week will put MA800. Regards Dinkers

Attachments

• MA 800.jpg
    MA 800.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 168
  • kryspin 1.jpg
    kryspin 1.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 845.jpg
    845.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 116
  • inside 004.JPG
    inside 004.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 147
Has anyone bought the 808 KT88 model from MA, I would love to see some mods or any thoughts on this model. Thanks. It seems that these amps are being changed amp to amp as they are being built, when they learn of an issue they fix it, but do not let anyone know about the changes, no scematic doesnt help, but changing amp to amp, the scematics wouldnt be worth much use anyways.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.