Help! Upgrade a Music Angel KT88 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2008, 09:05 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

There is not connection to ground for the power supplys either. Seems like everything is floating. The schmetic I got from the guy who does the warrenty work shows no gnd either.
Old 25th April 2009, 08:04 PM   #22
jompo is offline jompo  France
diyAudio Member

Default triode/UL switch

Hello,

I did not understand how exactly to disable the triode/UL switch on the Music Angel KT88 (I have attached shematic).

Thank you for help,

Joel
Attached Files
File Type: pdf music_angel_kt88_schematic.pdf (83.3 KB, 430 views)
Old 25th April 2009, 11:17 PM   #23
pointy is offline pointy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

maybe a choke.........................?
Old 29th April 2009, 02:11 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Default triode/UL switch 2

I think I got the response for my question about disabling the UL/triode switch on the Music Angel KT88 on this diyaudio thread

"remove the wire(s) from pin 4 (1 wire per tube). Connect pin 3 and 4 with a 100 ohm resistor (or with the resistor on the way from relay to pin 4). Also remove the 2 power connections to the relays".
Old 3rd May 2009, 10:56 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default Re: triode/UL switch 2

Quote:
Originally posted by jompo
I think I got the response for my question about disabling the UL/triode switch on the Music Angel KT88 on this diyaudio thread

"remove the wire(s) from pin 4 (1 wire per tube). Connect pin 3 and 4 with a 100 ohm resistor (or with the resistor on the way from relay to pin 4). Also remove the 2 power connections to the relays".
An additionnal picture of the modifications I made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg triode-mod-kt88-music-angel.jpg (98.4 KB, 748 views)
Old 12th May 2009, 12:00 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to annolsen2009 Send a message via Yahoo to annolsen2009
I see the Music Angel KT88 is similar to XiangSheng Music Cruve D2020-KT88.

http://www.xshn.com/en/display.asp?id=5
Old 24th July 2009, 09:44 PM   #27
RCruz is online now RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Hi All

I am now starting to "cure" onr of these amps... It is in stock form and I must draw a schematic before anything because I believe these amps circuits are very variable.

I am not an experieced tube modder so I will need all the help available.

Is it possible to remove the feedback without major surgery ?

Hope I am not beeing too boring... again....

Ricardo
Old 24th July 2009, 10:11 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to kyleaudio
this link might be helpful to you, not sure how good it is tho. http://lampizator.eu/AMPLIFIERS/CHIN...reworking.html
Old 25th July 2009, 01:48 PM   #29
RCruz is online now RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Thank you

I have seen this before but as there is no explanation for the actions taken, I must design a schematic and do these mods on paper so I can understand every mod.

Ricardo
Old 24th August 2009, 11:34 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Hi guys .... I'm new here and I too have an Music Angel KT88 which I'm modifying.

things I did;

- disconnected the switch at the back
- done the hardwired triode mod between pins 3 and 4 on all KT88's
- set the bias on all 4 to 35mA as a test but now I notice that the power-supply transformers are getting a bit too warm .... and I don't like it really.
before the bias was set to 25mA ... everything stayed a lot cooler.

But now ....
because I started to get .... only after a while, say about an hour or 2 when the tubes are heated up very well ..... a kind of high whistling noise in the right channel only when I'm playing the amp on really low volume.
Even when I mute the input ... I can still hear it ans it's a rather irritating high pitched tone. It differs a bit in volume too .... somethimes it even disappears for a second or 2. It looks like a kind of oscillation ...
I also had a lot of "microfonie" on the small tubes. When I gave a very little tick on the tubes .... with a pen or so .... it was very audible in the speakers.
So I thought .... old tubes .... let's change them.

I already changed valves 1 and 4 ... the phase turners ...the ones labelled on the amp and in the schematics as 12AU7.
I swapped them with a pair of balanced NOS Sylvania 5963 tubes and this worked fine .... at least the microfonie problem is gone.
I was supprised a lot when I noticed that the originals were 2 different tubes .... one was a 5963 ... the other one a 5965 ... can you imagine ..

With the swap of the other 2 valves ... 12AT7 ones .... something went wrong.
12AT7 printed on the amp and in the schematics .... seemed to be that the original ones were Shuguang 6N1 tubes ... printed that way on the tubes.
I swapped them with a balanced pair NOS Philips JAN 12AT7WC and things started to go wrong. Didn't look on the prrint on the tubes themself ... my mistake ...
From the first moment there was a difference in volume between left and right channel ... after about 2 hours orso the right channel stopped working.
I bought the tubes in holland .... I myself live in Belgium .... and the man from the shop mailed me and said that the 6N1 and the 12AT7 are not the same .... they are not 1 one 1 swappable !

So the philips tubes are send back and I'm now waiting for a pair of russian 6n1p-EV tubes. I hope everything will work fine then.

But ... in the mean time ... I plugged the old 6N1's back in place and still .... when the amp is heated up well .... I do still hear that irrating high noise in the right channel .... so if somebody can help me with this problem ....
you're wellcome

Hide this!Advertise here!