• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

chinese and tube Depot amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I would like to hear some sincere opinion about these tube amps they sell in china wich the price is really low like Dared amp5 or T.M.S T-200MKll:

http://www.audiosquare.hk/T-200.htm
http://pacificvalve.us/BPH12.html this is bada ph-12

They look very attractive, but compareing with other tube amps that are sold on the net, it's quite amazing the difference on price.

So if any one has heard one of these, or know something about them, please let me know.

Olso, as this is a DIY page, has anybody heard this:
http://store.tubedepot.com/diy-k12m.html
what's it look(sound) like?

Thanks for your comments in advance. I'm complete novice with tube amps, and I would like to get some advice. The only one I've heard was in a shop in my town, it was a Fatman Tube for Ipod. Sounded good to me... but still, I'll see your comments :confused:

Juanito

I have heard three of these amps - all from different makers and parts of China - and I have been VERY impressed with the overall sonic and mechanical properties.

One audio buddy bought a little PP 6BQ5 amp for under $200 form an eBay seller - this little amp impressed a whole gathering of critical audiophiles at an audio fest last summer. At about 12 wpc it has enough power for most applications. They did cheap-out on some of the bits (volume pot and input wiring) but these are easily (and cheaply) upgraded. I was most impressed with the bass this tiny amp can produce on good speakers. That speakes well for the output transformers used.

Another is a 7.5wpc 300B SE amp - this unit has excellent performance and is over 18 months old with no problems so far. I think this amp cost $650 landed here in Canada and performs every bit as well as a couple of US-made 300Bs I have heard that each cost more than twice as much.

The last is a KT88/6550 PP amp of 35wpc from DIYHifiSupply in Hong Kong. This amp was not cheap at $2,200, but it is a really beautiful peice of gear that I think could stand up against any KT88/6550 design out there at any price.

All in all, I think that the Chinese are building some very good stuff at very reasonable prices (so far). I expect the prices to climb as they become more trusted in the market. My advice is: get yours now cause next year they will cost substantially more.

Just my opinion...

Jess

Hello all:
I am in agreement with Jess on this. I heard one of the amps that Jess had this summer. I was so impressed I went to China to buy my own!
Well, that was not only reason I went to China, but while I was there I did pick up a very nice little SE el84. I am quite happy with performance. It sounds great on my Bifonkens.

Get it while the getting is good

Just be aware that they don't build them with ultimate safety in mind. I wouldn't use one in my house without first getting a schematic and following the circuit from point to point...especially when it comes to the high voltage PSU. I've read of some B+ caps carrying the rail voltage on their bodies, etc., etc.,...something a Euro or USA manufacturer would never allow. Also, if they were to cause a fire or something like that, your insurer might take a dim view of your "great deal". They aren't CE/UL/( insert acronym) certified.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.