This is cool - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2006, 05:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default This is cool

I work as an engineer in a large high tech electronics plant. Today Linear Technology, a large IC maker came into our building to give a seminar (and free lunch) on their LT spice simulator. The audience was mostly young analog and digital circuit design engineers.

They went through examples on how to set up the simulator to model linear and switch mode power supplies. They went through examples of how to set up the simulator to model linear circuits using common bipolar transistors and mosfets. Then the presenter opened up an example, and there IT was, a circuit example featuring a 6BQ5 vacuum tube! I was the only one in the room who recognized the active device. One of the engineers made a remark about a history class. I am glad to see that a modern electronics IC design company still recognizes and supports "history".

LT spice is free and can be downloaded here:

http://www.linear.com/designtools/so...gistration.jsp

Registration is not required. I have not used this program yet, but I will.
Old 29th November 2006, 07:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I can recommend LT Spice, having used it for over a year to model power supplies and amplifiers. It has a built-in library of models for SS and passive devices but there are plenty of useable models for tubes on the 'net (some better than others). There have been several threads on this already.
Old 29th November 2006, 08:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I realize that there have been threads relating to LT spice, I have used the old Switcher Cad version here at work to model SMPS circuits.

What I thought was cool was the fact that the Linear Technology rep actually mentioned, and demonstrated the modeling of a vacuum tube circuit in a room full of engineers who didn't know what tubes were.
Old 29th November 2006, 10:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
Quote:
Originally posted by tubelab.com
What I thought was cool was the fact that the Linear Technology rep actually mentioned, and demonstrated the modeling of a vacuum tube circuit in a room full of engineers who didn't know what tubes were.
Except one!
Old 29th November 2006, 10:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally posted by tubelab.com
I realize that there have been threads relating to LT spice, I have used the old Switcher Cad version here at work to model SMPS circuits.

Most probably they knew that The TubeLab.com will be there, so the demonstration was targeted to diyaudio.com

Anyway, is there a library with tube models available to download somewhere?
Old 29th November 2006, 11:29 PM   #6
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Duncan Amps has a fairly large library of compatible models.

Hide this!Advertise here!