• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

This is cool

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I work as an engineer in a large high tech electronics plant. Today Linear Technology, a large IC maker came into our building to give a seminar (and free lunch) on their LT spice simulator. The audience was mostly young analog and digital circuit design engineers.

They went through examples on how to set up the simulator to model linear and switch mode power supplies. They went through examples of how to set up the simulator to model linear circuits using common bipolar transistors and mosfets. Then the presenter opened up an example, and there IT was, a circuit example featuring a 6BQ5 vacuum tube! I was the only one in the room who recognized the active device. One of the engineers made a remark about a history class. I am glad to see that a modern electronics IC design company still recognizes and supports "history".

LT spice is free and can be downloaded here:

http://www.linear.com/designtools/softwareRegistration.jsp

Registration is not required. I have not used this program yet, but I will.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
I can recommend LT Spice, having used it for over a year to model power supplies and amplifiers. It has a built-in library of models for SS and passive devices but there are plenty of useable models for tubes on the 'net (some better than others). There have been several threads on this already.

I realize that there have been threads relating to LT spice, I have used the old Switcher Cad version here at work to model SMPS circuits.

What I thought was cool was the fact that the Linear Technology rep actually mentioned, and demonstrated the modeling of a vacuum tube circuit in a room full of engineers who didn't know what tubes were.

tubelab.com said:
I realize that there have been threads relating to LT spice, I have used the old Switcher Cad version here at work to model SMPS circuits.

What I thought was cool was the fact that the Linear Technology rep actually mentioned, and demonstrated the modeling of a vacuum tube circuit in a room full of engineers who didn't know what tubes were.

Most probably they knew that The TubeLab.com will be there, so the demonstration was targeted to diyaudio.com :D

Anyway, is there a library with tube models available to download somewhere?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.