• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

5687 filament question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
file wont load??

hope this time will load

Attachments

• audionotem7.jpg
    audionotem7.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 732
Re: AC vs DC

jim said:
I think you better use AC in this situation.
I overlooked it, but when you use AC, there's no rectifier noise
to cope with

jim
Agreed. As you've already biassed the centre of the filament up 30V or so, hum shouldn't be a problem in a linestage, even with very high efficiency speakers. If you find hum is an issue, I'd check all your wiring, and maybe reverse the filament wires on the heater pins.

When built, measure the filament voltage under load. It might be a bit high with only one 450mA filament in use. In that case, add a small series resistor to each leg to get it to the correct voltage.

The only place I use DC filaments are my phono stages, where I use a series reg, shunt and current source.

Cheers

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
JUST IN CASE

Hi,

If you still experience hum problems and want to use DC on the heaters:

Use a full wave bridge (preferably a Schottky or hexfred) put a sizeable cap behind it (4700 microF or bigger) than use a LM317 or 7812 as a regulator and bypass the IC with about 10 microF.
Ground at the heater side.

Remember the reg. needs at least a couple of volts over its' regulation voltage to operate properly.
You will have this automatically no matter what diodes you use in full wave bridge:

12VAC *1.4 =16.8 VDC.

This may also improve the SN/R of the preamp.

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002

Hi,

BTW,may I recommend the black (graphite) 5687?

I still have too find a black plate tube that sounds worse than its' regular counterpart.

Anyone else having the same experience?

While I'm at it:don't get those shiny nickel plates the sound awful.

Cheers,;)

Re: JUST IN CASE

fdegrove said:
Hi,

If you still experience hum problems and want to use DC on the heaters:

Use a full wave bridge (preferably a Schottky or hexfred) put a sizeable cap behind it (4700 microF or bigger) than use a LM317 or 7812 as a regulator and bypass the IC with about 10 microF.
Ground at the heater side.
Frank,
I more or less agree, except for two things. Use Schottkeys, not FREDs, and dont ground the negative of the DC heater. It's biassed up to +30V or so by the voltage divider connected to pin 8.

Cheers

hi all,
frank: will be using tungsol/Raytheon 5687 D/O-getter.
as for the supply, i did build the DC supply using schottky diode with 3300uf b4 and 470uf cerafine after the 5R resistor..guess i need to put a regulator LM317/LM1085 and a trimpot to adjust to get 12.6volts or 6.3volts..am i in the right track?
thanks guys.

rgds,
tone

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
RIGHT TRACK

Hi,

LM317/LM1085 and a trimpot to adjust to get 12.6volts or 6.3volts

I don't see any reason to use the 6.3VDC,but yes,the LM 317 is a decent reg that is adjustable via its' ground pin (the middle one I think).
Also note that I recommend setting it a bit low,say 12VDC for longer tube life.
It won't hurt the sound at all since you provide ample current.

Check with the datasheet of the LM317/1085 for the maximum value of cap you can put behind it.
use a good quality cap such as the ELNA after that or if only a smaller value is allowed use a filmcap.

Actually you can ommit the 5R when you use a regulator.

Cheers,;)

hi frank,
i have read that by going AC, the tube will have a longer life span right?..i will go AC, since tubes was design for AC supply..so now i would have to connect the 12.6v to pin 4 and ground to pin5..right?
thanks frank for the advice..

cheers.

tone.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
NOPE.

Hi,

I guess it won't hurt to try AC.
Just don't connect either pin 4 nor 5 to ground,let that part float,it is already referenced to ground by the polarizing circuit.

have read that by going AC, the tube will have a longer life span right?..

Yes,in theory.
However on a small signal tube used in a preamp I wouldn't make that big an issue out of it.

Anyway,if you do get hum you can always revert to DC operation so give it a shot.

Cheers,;)

Re: SLOPPY ANSWER

fdegrove said:
Hi, That should have been:since the heaters are lifted by 30V with respect to ground in order not to surpass heater to cathode insulation.
Actually, if the heater is positive wrt the cathode, then that would discourage the heater from emitting electrons too, something you don't want if the heater is running off AC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.