New Guy - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2006, 07:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to wotsascott Send a message via Yahoo to wotsascott
Question New Guy

Hi Guys,
I am seriousley new to tubes, but I have built some chipamps.
I gather that tubes need treating with respect due to the high voltages involved, so I wondered if anyone out there could who could recomend a begginer circuit with PSU and possibly some instructions?
A monoblock would do, or even a crash course on these most beautifull looking amps!!
Cheers.
Old 21st November 2006, 08:01 PM   #2
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

You could have a look at the kits sold by World Audio (an adjunct of Hi-Fi World).
Old 21st November 2006, 08:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

as EC8010 said - kits are a great way to get your feet wet - I built my first amp from scratch (many years ago) after first modifying several existing amplifiers and making some simple linestages. Only then did I feel confident enough to tackle doing the metalwork and layout for an amplifier.

Instead of a kit, you may want to buy an existing vintage unit and bring it back up to 'spec - then start making modifications...
Old 22nd November 2006, 10:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You may like to look at this to give you an introductory "flavour" of tubes. Take one of your chip amps and turn it into a "Gain Clone" by adding a tube front end. It won't give you the full tube amp experience but its an easy place to start particularly if you already have a chip amp you can play with.

http://www.customanalogue.com/diytub...lone/index.htm

Cheers,
Ian
Old 22nd November 2006, 10:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to Tubeworld!

As you say, high voltages merit serious respect. Apart from that, I find the metalwork to be the biggest challenge - for me, anyway. A kit is a good way to go; another possibility is to buy a used amp and cannibalize it or fix it up to your satisfaction.

Good luck!
Old 25th November 2006, 06:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi 1 & all,
Thanks for such an informative response; a very warm reception!
I think I'll stay! Much appreciated!!
Anyhow, I've not had any luck finding a battered vintage valve amp to restore <although I was offered a valve reciever from a WW2 DC10 Bomber>?
As I am very familliar with the LM3886 and LM4780 op-amps, or as they're more fondley called 'Gainclone's'. So it seems sensible to me to try one with a 'tube buffer'? This hybrid seems interesting and I've found the one by 'Analouge Audio' to be a good place for theory?
I agree that the chassis is often the challenge, while the electronics is often the easy part.
What do you guys think of the K-12 kit? It's cheap at least, meaning it's not so heartbreaking if I screw it up?
As to the afore mentioned hybrid, I already have most of the parts, except the 1 valve <a bit disapointed it only uses one little valve; gotta start somewhere?>, where can I get the Sovtek 6922?
Thanks again!
Old 25th November 2006, 06:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Hybrid Gainclone

Hi again,
Is there any reason the tube gainclone is inverted? Any real reason I mean, not the age old argument that inverted is better than non-inverted?
Can you just use a non-inverted instead?
Old 25th November 2006, 10:55 PM   #8
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

The buffers is there BECAUSE the chip is inverted... otherwise, if you want to put a pot infront of the amp, you will be adjusting the gain as you turn the knob....

Look up Franz's VBIGC it is pretty easy to do even without the PCBs, I did, and it was my first valve project. Doing it this way allows you a bit of freedom, Instead of makeing an integrated unit, I put the valve, pot and source selector into one case.. makes it easy to swap amps, and I no longer think of timers, and volume controls etc. when I test a new circuit, as the case also has timer switched mains outputs for the other audio components.
Old 25th November 2006, 11:00 PM   #9
jarthel is offline jarthel  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ray_moth
I find the metalwork to be the biggest challenge - for me, anyway.

Good luck!

this is the same for me as well. It's the most difficult part of the project.
Old 18th January 2007, 11:38 PM   #10
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Hi Scott,
I'm new to tubes too & I just found this site which answers most of my questions - have a look : http://boozhoundlabs.com/howto/

John

Hide this!Advertise here!