• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

New Guy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,
I am seriousley new to tubes, but I have built some chipamps.
I gather that tubes need treating with respect due to the high voltages involved, so I wondered if anyone out there could who could recomend a begginer circuit with PSU and possibly some instructions?
A monoblock would do, or even a crash course on these most beautifull looking amps!!
Cheers.

as EC8010 said - kits are a great way to get your feet wet - I built my first amp from scratch (many years ago) after first modifying several existing amplifiers and making some simple linestages. Only then did I feel confident enough to tackle doing the metalwork and layout for an amplifier.

Instead of a kit, you may want to buy an existing vintage unit and bring it back up to 'spec - then start making modifications...

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
Welcome to Tubeworld!

As you say, high voltages merit serious respect. Apart from that, I find the metalwork to be the biggest challenge - for me, anyway. A kit is a good way to go; another possibility is to buy a used amp and cannibalize it or fix it up to your satisfaction.

Good luck!

Hi 1 & all,
Thanks for such an informative response; a very warm reception!
I think I'll stay! Much appreciated!!
Anyhow, I've not had any luck finding a battered vintage valve amp to restore <although I was offered a valve reciever from a WW2 DC10 Bomber>?
As I am very familliar with the LM3886 and LM4780 op-amps, or as they're more fondley called 'Gainclone's'. So it seems sensible to me to try one with a 'tube buffer'? This hybrid seems interesting and I've found the one by 'Analouge Audio' to be a good place for theory?
I agree that the chassis is often the challenge, while the electronics is often the easy part.
What do you guys think of the K-12 kit? It's cheap at least, meaning it's not so heartbreaking if I screw it up?
As to the afore mentioned hybrid, I already have most of the parts, except the 1 valve <a bit disapointed it only uses one little valve; gotta start somewhere?>, where can I get the Sovtek 6922?
Thanks again!:smash:

The buffers is there BECAUSE the chip is inverted... otherwise, if you want to put a pot infront of the amp, you will be adjusting the gain as you turn the knob....

Look up Franz's VBIGC it is pretty easy to do even without the PCBs, I did, and it was my first valve project. Doing it this way allows you a bit of freedom, Instead of makeing an integrated unit, I put the valve, pot and source selector into one case.. makes it easy to swap amps, and I no longer think of timers, and volume controls etc. when I test a new circuit, as the case also has timer switched mains outputs for the other audio components.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.