Silly Chassis Punch Question... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2006, 09:32 PM   #11
Casey4s is offline Casey4s  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey4s
Quote:
Originally posted by vax9000
HomeDepot has those Greenlee punches. It may not be listed on the webpages, but you can find them in your local store. Then you can take a close look of the size v.s. the label.

vax, 9000

The punches at Home Depot and Lowes are definately CONDUIT PUNCHES.
Old 22nd November 2006, 01:03 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to mitwrong Send a message via MSN to mitwrong Send a message via Yahoo to mitwrong
Default Punches

Hi,

There is another punch manufacturer called " Engineer and Tazan ". These two Co. are from Japan, Special make for tube sockets. most type of socket can fit!

WE WANT COSMETIC PERFECT
Old 22nd November 2006, 01:29 AM   #13
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 375
I...A hole saw will be the exact size, but can discolor the surrounding area if not careful.
I have been using a 7/8" step drill for nine pin sockets and a 1 1/8" hole saw for octals. The trick is not to use too high a drill speed. A little cutting oil doesn't hurt either.

I found that the blu-mol bimetal hole saws work great and stay sharp. I have them in sizes from 1 1/8" to 2 1/2" and have used them on everything from Hammond steel and aluminum chassis boxes, to 1/8" thick aluminum plate.
Old 22nd November 2006, 02:40 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Great timing on this thread, as I am just about to put holes in my new chassis. I bought 20 gauge steel (17 x 12 inches). I have octal tubes and sockets that are around an inch diameter.

Someone told me that on such "thin" steel, hole punches can bend the metal. Is this likely to be true? Of course, I can easily invest in a hole saw of around this diameter, and drill slowly with a little oil.

Thanks,
Charlie
Old 22nd November 2006, 04:57 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I have been punching holes up to 1-3/32 inch with the cheap Harbor-Freight conduit punches in thin steel bake pans without any bending problems.

Looking at the punch set, the clearance between the punch and die looks close up to the 1-3/8 hole size, but the 1.7 inch hole size has a noticeably larger clearance and would no doubt cause bending problems with thin material.

Looking at the Greenlee punches, I see close clearance up to 1- 3/8 inch size too. Don't have the bigger Greenlees here to check.

Probably will depend on the brand of punches and size of hole, with bigger holes more likely to cause bending problems. Older, used punches with dull punch edges, will be more likely to have bending problems too.

Don
Old 22nd November 2006, 07:01 PM   #16
zobsky is offline zobsky  India
diyAudio Member

Default here's what i use

http://www.oselectronics.com/ose_p64.htm - i thought i paid a little less a few years ago, but still cheaper than a set of greenlees. These punches match up with most sockets (octal, 7 pin, 9 pin, 5 pin etc) that i've needed to use, as an occasional weekend warrior..

I'm considering a set of step drills sometime in the future, now that they're somewhat cheaper than a few years ago.

Hide this!Advertise here!