• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

811a Class A2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Brett,

I'll try as soon as I get the amplifier running.
It's still an "in the brain" amplifier :)
btw I've got NOS RCA-811A (for free)

thanks for the suggestions.

Joel,

The EL84 is biased by a separate bias-supply connected
to the 280k resistor.
This voltage biases the '84' to about -10,-12V at 25mA.

Jim

jim said:
Does someone has some experience using the 811a in SE-A2 mode ?
I'd like to use it with the Lundahl LL1620 OPT and LL1660 IT.

Jim

I just found the schem of the WAVAC 805 (designed by the late Nobu Shishido) and thought I'd post it for some inspiration, especially as you mentioned possibly using an IT. The IT in the WAVAC is configured so that a large part if the DC bias flux will be cancelled (smaller gap, increased primary L), and IIRC has a step down to get better drive.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• wavac 805.jpg
    wavac 805.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,603
I guess Brett's schematic came from Shishido's book "Sohshinkan Niyoru Single Amp Siesakushu" which I don't have. But on this book I undrstand there are a number of IIT including the 811.

BTW Brett, thanks for the schematic since I was looking for it, but never asked!!!

Now the problem is where to get a 437A. (at 1/10 the asking price I may add). The price of this tube will account for 1/2 the cost of the amp!:bigeyes:

apassgear said:
I guess Brett's schematic came from Shishido's book "Sohshinkan Niyoru Single Amp Siesakushu" which I don't have. But on this book I undrstand there are a number of IIT including the 811.

I don't actually have this book, I found the schematic on the web somewhere, and as is my habit, I saved it. One day I will buy a copy of Shishido-san's book but it's $US65.
He was a great designer.

I'm glad you liked the schematic. I also had the one for the WAVAC 833, but lost it when my HDD died.

Now the problem is where to get a 437A. (at 1/10 the asking price I may add). The price of this tube will account for 1/2 the cost of the amp!:bigeyes:

Use a 6C45pi (possibly even a better tube) until you come a cross a stash of 437s.

Cheers

What about using a choke instead of that 33k resistor??
I have a feeling that some extra current trough the driver tube would increase stability, and that current would "leak" away through the choke.
Or, you could keep the resistor in place but connect the "cold" side to a negative power supply?!?

I´ve been looking at some designs using high µ transmitter triodes lately (since I found out that I have the necessary PSU and output ironwares lying at no use arund the apartment), and most designs employs IIT´s.
After some failed experiments with DIY interstage transfomers I´ve finally started looking for other alternatives (Could´n get them damned things to stop oscillating...)

Some kind of direct coupled cathode follower using a low Ra triode should work, I think. I´ve been toying around with a 6EW7 (Ra 800 ohms Pa 10W) loaded by a couple of different chokes and a 1k resistor to simulate the 811A grid. Seems to work fairly well, but my chokes are just regular filter chokes with crappy HF response and I think a beefier driver would be of use too.

Next try will be a resistor loaded 6AS7 follower...:devilr:

By the way, does anyone have some proper grid current curves for 811A??? The ones I´ve found doesn´t make much sense to me...

Brett said:

I don't actually have this book, I found the schematic on the web somewhere, and as is my habit, I saved it. One day I will buy a copy of Shishido-san's book but it's $US65.
He was a great designer.

I'm glad you liked the schematic. I also had the one for the WAVAC 833, but lost it when my HDD died.

Use a 6C45pi (possibly even a better tube) until you come a cross a stash of 437s.

Cheers [/B]

I have this book, really $65??? I bought it from Hong Kong ~$35.... ;)

Brett said:

D,

iirc I was quoting from the EIFL page. Do you have a source in HK you'd like to share where I could mail order? I'd love a copy of the book and $35 is more managable than $65.

Cheers
Brett

HK Bush Electronics in Central, another one located at Apliu St, Shamshuipo. I don't have their contact info on hand, but I don't think they will accept any mail order. I know there has some club members here from HK/China, may be they can help. Oh, how about ask those members from Japan, I'm sure it will be much cheaper....
PS. All those books are published from Japan with nice printing and packaging, they are worth to be collected in my bookcase even I can't read Japanese....

apassgear said:

The 811A Class A2 amplifier is not in this book. WAVAC sells a commercial design by Shishido called the "Dandy" (or something like that) that uses a Russian 811A (like the original RCA version).

I personally find these designs interesting. Has anyone used a Lundahl IT in reverse as the IIT? The Tangos originally specified by Shishido were special order items apparantly no longer available from new Tango. Also, is the current drawn by the grid only related to the DC resistance of the IIT secondary?

Thanks,
John

I sure like those direct coupled designs.
As I´ve said before I´m collecting parts for such an amp, and I´ll probably have a mono prototype up and running within a couple of weeks.

Tube setup will be something like:
Resistor loaded EC81 direct coupled to a resistor loaded 12B4A cap coupled to a choke loaded 6AS7 cathode follower which drives the 811A (puh!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.