• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Advice needed for tweaking S5 Electronics K-12G diy kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got the kit and will assemble it this week, but look forward to tweaking this wthout breaking the bank. Apart from Voltseconds link found in these forums, there is no real list of what all tweaks have been done, but from what I can gather they are :

1. replace UTK transfomer with Hammond 1608 or 1609
2. replace capacitors maybe with Auricaps
3. replace resistors with Vishay ?
4. snubberize (what ever that means)

I guess anything can be replaced with any other equivalent value, but how much of this can actualy be heard as making a positive improvement ? This is my first tube amp diy kit and to be honest do not understand what and how it all works together but I do know how to desolder and solder.... so having said that from what I heave read, replacing the transformers would be the easiest albeit more expesive tweak" but certainly something i am capable of.

Do you agree or suggest a better approach ?

Another question before I start assembling : whats the safest method to discharge transformers, capacitors and is that the only thin I need to be concerned ? Or do you recommend I get the Hammonds first ?

Thanks
Neville

K-12g

For that particular amp, the greatest improvement, in order:
1- Power and output transfos
2-Volume pot
3-Capacitors
You can make one change at a time and later with ($) make another mod.
Dont be afraid to try anything, but be careful, you're dealing with high voltage!!!
Good luck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.