Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th November 2006, 09:11 PM   #31
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
say what you think.

Some of us talk through a hole in our hats.
Old 20th November 2006, 09:52 PM   #32
Casey4s is offline Casey4s  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey4s
Cal Weldon said in part...

"Hail to the woodworkers. The true craftspeople of DIY"

I took up wood working after I retired about 10 years ago, and it is a never ending learning process for me.

Wood work is a completely different discipline from Tube Electronics or sheet metal crafting that I like to dabble in.
Old 20th November 2006, 11:16 PM   #33
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Wood work is a completely different discipline from Tube Electronics or sheet metal crafting that I like to dabble in.

My Dad was the head tech for several companies back in the 60's, one of which was Magnavox. Interestingly, besides electronics his passion was flying.

That being said, I spent several years in the 60's in our 3 car garage holding up the end of his This N that (can use real terminology here)
While he built a full size Pete Bowers Flybaby. (all wood single seat open cockpit)

I got my first start in woodworking back then. In my teens I started in a Display Shop/Hardboard Fabricator, Did that 15 years, And spent 20 more in custom cabinetry and millwork.

I spend way more time on electronics projects these day rather than woodworking.

Oh, back to the topic of tolex.

I know a lot of guys have their favorite adhesives, But, I have really gotten fond of Formica Brand #160 water based contact.

No Fumes, Put it on with a foam roller, wait about 30 minutes and lay it up.
I really like it on Tweed fabric also. Its fairly thin so its must be applied heavily, But, I can honestly say, You can use it indoors without seeing Elvis by the time your done. 99% odorless and soap and water Clean Up.

Did this one last week.
Click the image to open in full size.

Trout
Old 20th November 2006, 11:33 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Trout

My Dad was the head tech for several companies back in the 60's, one of which was Magnavox. Interestingly, besides electronics his passion was flying.

That being said, I spent several years in the 60's in our 3 car garage holding up the end of his This N that (can use real terminology here)
While he built a full size Pete Bowers Flybaby. (all wood single seat open cockpit)

I got my first start in woodworking back then. In my teens I started in a Display Shop/Hardboard Fabricator, Did that 15 years, And spent 20 more in custom cabinetry and millwork.

I spend way more time on electronics projects these day rather than woodworking.

Oh, back to the topic of tolex.

I know a lot of guys have their favorite adhesives, But, I have really gotten fond of Formica Brand #160 water based contact.

No Fumes, Put it on with a foam roller, wait about 30 minutes and lay it up.
I really like it on Tweed fabric also. Its fairly thin so its must be applied heavily, But, I can honestly say, You can use it indoors without seeing Elvis by the time your done. 99% odorless and soap and water Clean Up.

Did this one last week.
Click the image to open in full size.

Trout
Most of my life long expierimenting and work discipline was in electronics and communications. Wood work came later in life.

I agree on using some of the newer glues instead of the smelly contact cements. I used two fans in push-pull to ventilate my work area.

I use a product from a company called "Custom Pak Adhesives". It's original purpose was/is to cement formica to counter tops and other construction jobs.

It sounds about the same, the big improvement is no fumes and soap and water clean up. Additionaly if you mis-align a piece it is very easy to remove and reposition. This stuff works great with Tweed too.

Your Tweed cabinet looks really nice, you did a really good job. What kind of amp is it?
Old 20th November 2006, 11:46 PM   #35
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Your Tweed cabinet looks really nice, you did a really good job. What kind of amp is it?

haha,, a 5E3 of course!!

Quote:
I use a product from a company called "Custom Pak Adhesives". It's original purpose was/is to cement formica to counter tops and other construction jobs.
It would not surprise me one bit if the Custom pack stuff and Formica stuff were one in the same.

White? Milky? Somewhat Thin? Drys clear to whiteish in thicker spots?

Weldwood also sells the stuff, But our local Lowes was always out. I buy the Formica Brand in gallon cans, Its much cheaper that way.

Our Lowes generally has the Formica Brand #160 in stock in Qts and Gals, I live close enough that shipping in Custom Pak was not sensible. (Could not locate it locally)

Trout

Edit,
BTW, That water based stuff has another nice feature, If you get a stubborn area that wants to lift, Simply get out Momma's old iron and a thick towel. It will improve adherence. Almost like doing veneer repair with white glue, Just less heat required.
Even the heat from your hands will activate it.

I have found if needed the heat on tweed works very easy, The Tweed is not very temp sensitive, But on tolex, Do not over-do it, Tolex will melt if overheated.
Old 21st November 2006, 12:24 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

"It would not surprise me one bit if the Custom pack stuff and Formica stuff were one in the same."

The guy at Custom Pak told me that they repackage their product for other companies. So it wouldn't surprise me either if it was the same product. I will probably check out Lowes next time I need some. Otherwise I get mine directly from Custom Pak in a 1 gallon Jug (like Milk) and have to pay the postage.

The 5E3 was my very first tube amp build almost 10 years ago, and my first dealing with Tweed covering. Lining up the pattern was a real challange.

I added a TMB tone stack to my 5E3 to give it more versatility and it works really well.

Hide this!Advertise here!