Grounded Grid vs. Aikido - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2006, 02:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Grounded Grid vs. Aikido

Anyone done an actual listening comparison of an Aikido preamp vs. the Transcendent Grounded Grid?

I am not related to either manufacturer and do not favor one or the other, just looking for your impressions.

-- josť k.
Old 16th November 2006, 04:14 PM   #2
jayme is offline jayme  United States
diyAudio Member

I built the Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid in kit form. It sounded great. Well worth it for the money, and extremely easy to put together.

But, I have to say that my just-completed scratch-built Aikido is much better. The clarity is outstanding.
Old 16th November 2006, 05:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default [tube selection] Aikido vs. GG

The GG uses 12au7s - what tubes did you use on the Aikido and what is the B+ voltage?

Thanks,
Old 16th November 2006, 07:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I used 6SN7 octals for both stages, and I can vary the B+ between 270V and 330V by using different tube rectifiers.

Also, I didn't use any electrolytic caps, even in the PSU. Just some big 15Hy chokes and ASC motor run caps.
Old 16th November 2006, 08:24 PM   #5
Cobra2 is offline Cobra2  Norway
DIY !
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cobra2
Smile Great!

I will soon start building a 6SN7 Aikido myself...

Would you mind sharing more details of yours?

Arne K
Old 16th November 2006, 09:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Well...one thing is for sure...I didn't skimp on parts for this Aikido project. The difference I hear *might* be attributable just to the better parts list...but I personally feel the circuit topology has more to do with the excellent sound than the parts.

My Aikido used Bas's boards, as I ordered them before Broskie was selling his boards.

I used Lundahl iron throughout the PSU: a mains transformer and 15H chokes in a CLCLC configuration (the last LC is parallelled: one per L/R).

The 6SN7s have AC on the heaters, biased to around 90V with a 330V B+.

The output coupling caps are .47uF Auricaps. The resistors are Kiwame resistors (well...the ones that matter, anyways).

My favorite part is that I mounted the boards on 2" standoffs. This allowed me to run shaft extenstions underneath the boards to the volume pot and selector switch which were mounted at the back near the inputs.

And, the chassis is steel.

At around 30lbs, it is certainly a heck of a lot heavier than the 5lbs that the Grounded Grid weighs in at...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aikido.jpg (75.7 KB, 933 views)
Old 16th November 2006, 09:57 PM   #7
Cobra2 is offline Cobra2  Norway
DIY !
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cobra2
Default Nice!

May I also ask for the Lundahl part-numbers?
(forgive me, I'm fairly new to tubes in audio)

Arne K
Old 16th November 2006, 10:51 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Of course. The mains is LL1683 and the chokes are LL1673. They are a bit pricey, but of such high quality and performance that I find them to be a bargain.
Old 17th November 2006, 10:50 PM   #9
JoshK is offline JoshK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Jayme,

As always, I find your work top-notch. You should come by our GTG's sometime, or just come by my place for a little listening & shootin' the sh**.

I always wondered why better iron in the PSU made any difference. Is it the DCR? Less reactance? .....

I am working on an octal aikido myself. I was thinking of 12sx7 followed by 6bx7's. I have nine pin boards from Bas, which I was thinking of 6cg7 > 6h30pi (or something to that tune). What'ya think?
Old 18th November 2006, 10:30 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well...one thing is for sure...I didn't skimp on parts for this Aikido project. The difference I hear *might* be attributable just to the better parts list...but I personally feel the circuit topology has more to do with the excellent sound than the parts.
I have built a number of Aikido line stages. Some I have used high quality parts and some I used run of the mill parts. Some were point to point wiring and some were Bas circuit boards or boards from JB. I also built several grounded grid line stages.

In my personal opinion I believe the Aikido to be superior regardless of the parts used. I have also done A/B tests with friends to see which they would pick. The Aikido has been the winner.

Hide this!Advertise here!