• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Searching Sound Valves M40 Monoblocks schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I googled Sound Valves and Sound Values (the name of the original company.) I reviewed their VTP-101i pre-amp more than 10 years ago..

Unfortunately they seem to be out of business at this point. I found their old web address and unfortunately it now belongs to a cyber squatter.. www.soundvalves.com

The M40 is very similar to the Dynaco MKIV IIRC, but doesn't use a 7199 but something like a 6AN8 instead? (Again IIRC)

I have seen and heard the M40, but my recollection is more than a little fuzzy since it was more than 10yrs ago.

Try triode connecting the EL34 output tubes, remove the UL taps coming from the output transformers from pin 4 of the EL34's and connect a 220 - 1K resistor from pin 3 to 4. (screen grid to plate) Be sure to insulate the disconnected tap wires well as there is full B+ plus rather a lot of AC audio voltage present when operating.

Upgrade the coupling caps as there are much better ones out there now.

Here is a link to a review of the pre-amplifier (not my review) with possibly useful historical contact info (ignore the email and website addresses obviously):

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_3_3/v3n3m.html

Sorry, wish I could be of more help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.