• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Sheet Metal Gauge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building a fairly standard tube amplifier chassis using a sheet of brass screwed into a wooden frame. It'll be supporting 3 fairly heavy transformers (pwr + 2 opt), a choke, caps and of course the tubes. I was thinking of using brass. What gauge material do you recommend for such a top plate?

You could get some steel support rods or flat bars and make a support cross under the top plate. You wouldn't need much, and the extra support would make the brass gauge relatively moot.

Also, if you could roll the edges on the brass, it would structurally re-enforce the load support. Cut a notch out of each corner and roll each long edge.

A sheet of 1/8th inch brass will cost you a pretty penny to say the least. It will also tarnish easily unless you clear lacquer it. Why not use aluminum plate? It's just as functional and a lot less money. Just be sure to get a piece that's tempered. The most common is 6061-T6. (or T-351 or T-651) Tempered aluminum machines very nicely and is not gummy. Or use a piece of aluminum rack panel.

I also prefer to support a standard chassis with aluminum right angle strips that I buy at Home Depot. (no affiliation)

Victor

Tom Bavis said:
I've used a metal angle under the transformers to strengthen it (you might be able to locate it so that the transformer bolts go through it).

Absolutely!

Metal angle works great with thin top plates. In the past I've run the angle stock directly under the transformers & near the power tube sockets. The top deck of the amplifier was rock solid. Below is a link for the OP for angle stock similar to I used. I bought something very close to it at Home Depot.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Aluminum Angle Stock

Thank you all for your suggestions. Some clever bracing may be the right solution. I was looking at some .040-.078" thick brass before. I don't know if it will sag soo much under the weight of the transformers without the bracing. Looking at it the other way, I'm concerned about going too thick to use my Greenlee punches, so I have my doubts about using 1/8" thick material.

I'll definitely explore the aluminum angle suggestion. I imagine it wouldn't be needed anywhere there weren't a heavy object to support. Given the transformers I'm using, it looks like I won't need to make any big holes that would have to be cut through the angle stock. The alu should drill out pretty easily. If it's a tight fit into my wooden box, I might not even need to secure it to the sides to provide support.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.