Face Plate Printing and Silk Screening - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th November 2006, 08:08 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Exclamation Face Plate Printing and Silk Screening

Hello! I was wondering where you guys get professional looking face plates printed. I've got a few amps built on 17"X10"X3" and 17"X14"X3" enclosures, and decals and Dymo labelers just don't cut it anymore. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goldelf1.jpg (58.2 KB, 1056 views)
Old 11th November 2006, 08:20 AM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Two of the many threads on the subject.

DIY amps front panel lettering
Labels?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 11th November 2006, 12:37 PM   #3
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

My opinion:

For your style of amp, I'd make a face plate that is held in place by the controls. The "markings" would go on the faceplate.

I currently prefer engraving for such labels - but I got an engraver. You may or may not be able to schmooze a person or company that has an engraver, or who does those clip-on name tags as a side-biz to do up ur panel.

You can also find the manual style (which is still good) engraving machines on eBay for not too much $$, assuming you will need this sort of thing in the future...

Otherwise silk-screening is king. That also requires some investment in set up and materials...

_-_-bear
Old 11th November 2006, 03:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Or...
FrontPanelExpress
Old 12th November 2006, 12:11 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Go to:

http://www.horizonsisg.com/products/home.asp

Check out the AlumaJet and IDmark products.

A friend built an analog music synthesizer (like an old Moog modular) using IDmark to cover his front panels. He used a CAD program to lay out the panels, print them on to transparencies, and expose the IDmark. They look very good. I got a package of the stuff, but have not tried it yet.
Old 14th November 2006, 02:32 AM   #6
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

I use BNP laser as a source for faceplates. They make up some really nice plexi style faceplates for a lot of the guitar amp guys.

BNP laser

Jeanne<--- @ BNP laser really knows her stuff.
The material she uses is a plexiglass type material that is backfilled in many popular colors. She uses a laser to remove the colored backfill, Then re-coats the lettering area. These have a really nice 3D look when complete, Especially the gloss material.

The lettering can never rub off because its on the inside next to the chassis and the outter surface is very clean and durable.

I generally order the satin because on guitar amps they always seem to show lots of finger prints.

She charges by the sq inch, No extra charge for holes, and can even do fancy line art logo's on the panel.

I opted for the less is more look black satin W/white letters. This is also a 17 X 10 X 3 Chassis
One of my Faceplates From BNP Laser

Edit, here is a picture of the art capabilities they have @ BNP on a guitar faceplate.

Backlite logo

Trout
Old 14th November 2006, 11:33 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Man! She does GREAT work! Thanks Trout, I think I'll consult her for an estimate. ~~~Johnny.

Hide this!Advertise here!