Amplifier identification - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2006, 03:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Amplifier identification

Hello everyone,

This is my first time on the forum, so I thought I'd take the chance to try and find out something about this amplifier I've had sitting around for a few years. I'm from a small town in eastern Canada which was also an American base some years ago. When the base closed and my grandfather was in charge of converting the buildings for use by the town, he found this amplifier (among other equipment) abandoned in a hanger, missing three of the output tubes and a cover. I'd love to find out more about the amp - it is currently working, unchanged from how my dad left it after he shelved it. The output tubes are 7189A (as far as I can tell, there have been several sets broken in the amp by falling objects, according to my father). Rectifier is 5AR4 (from memory), and there are a few 12AX7's scattered throughout the chassis. Unfortunately, this is all from memory - the amp is still at home right now. If I could find a schematic (to reverse the many 'fixes' applied before it was found) or a photo of a unit in better condition (I'm missing most of the lettering on mine) that would be great. Google has turned up little so far, but I may just be searching wrong. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amp-bell-01.jpg (98.2 KB, 140 views)
Old 10th November 2006, 04:19 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here is the front. The Bell logo is rear-lit (red), which looks pretty nice. Also, now that I think of it, I'm amazed this thing still works... when I was working on it the first time, I noticed newer capacitors paralleled where old ones had probably gone out of spec, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amp-bell-02.jpg (98.0 KB, 107 views)
Old 10th November 2006, 04:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

It looks like the Bell 4040 which was mentioned on another audio board... http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/att...7&d=1159109950

Some info there about where to find a schematic.
Old 10th November 2006, 05:09 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info! I was never able to search properly for this since only the '44' of the model # is still visible. The photos of the underside of the model 2440 in the thread you mentioned confirm that there have been many, many modifications... Still, it seems like this will be an interesting restoration project. From what I remember it sounded surprisingly good considering its condition. The 7189a's I have in it are not the best quality... one sits at more than a 30 degree angle when fully seated!

Hide this!Advertise here!