• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Perfect tube regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks, guys, but no. Easiest just to change R4 to 180K.

Note that you can also shunt across R4 with a very good quality film cap, if you do this I would make R4 361K and R5 200K, and use a 0.22uF cap. This should reduce ripple at the output by about 10dB and reduce output impedance substantially at audio frequencies (not DC).

I would recommend further changes, I no longer connect the filament to cathode directly even with the dedicated winding due to common mode ripple injection into the output DC. I now recommend using a 470K resistor from cathode to filament and a 0.22uF 400V film cap from that point to ground.

FWIW I also no longer recommend this circuit be used below 250V, nine years is a long time. (And in that case a lower voltage zener must be used)

See my Muscovite thread over in analogue source:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/213769-muscovite-6s3p-tube-phonostage.html

Thank you Kevin, like attached schematic?

TIA
Felipe

Attachments

• 300vreg_cr 280V mod.jpg
    300vreg_cr 280V mod.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 595
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Pretty close, but the discussed filament changes should be made to V2 filament circuit. (the pass tube)

I recommend a 12AX7LPS or genuine 7025 for V1 error amplifier if AC filament power is to be used. For V1 I recommend a resistive divider set to about 140V to bias up the filament supply. A pair of 150K in series across the output with a ~0.47uF cap from the center connection to ground is what I would recommend. The filaments should be powered by separate windings.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Pretty close, but the discussed filament changes should be made to V2 filament circuit. (the pass tube) OK understood

I recommend a 12AX7LPS or genuine 7025 for V1 error amplifier if AC filament power is to be used. For V1 I recommend a resistive divider set to about 140V to bias up the filament supply. I will use regulated DC

A pair of 150K in series across the output with a ~0.47uF cap from the center connection to ground is what I would recommend. The filaments should be powered by separate windings. Sorry my ignorance for V2 pins 3 & 4, V1B pin 7 or V1B pin 2?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
6BQ5 filaments are: pins 4 and 5.. Connect pin 3 through 470K resistor to pin 4. Connect 0.47uF 400V capacitor from pin 4 to ground.

12AX7A filaments are pins 4/5 and 9 for 6.3V operation. Connect pin 4 and 5 to center of two 150K resistors connected across regulated output. Place 0.47uF 200V capacitor from pin 4/5 to ground. The dc filament supply must be floating - neither side connected to ground.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I will try first in a line preamp mu-follower with ECC81 280VDC 2.99mA per channel total circa 6mA, if I like the sound I will use also in the phono Salas Itch 300VDC 15mA. Attached pics with schematics.

Attachments

• Valve Itch version 1.2.png
    Valve Itch version 1.2.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 434
  • Mufollower2.jpg
    Mufollower2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 417
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.