single Diode power supply? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2006, 01:32 PM   #1
robertc is offline robertc  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Default single Diode power supply?

do you think a single diode power supply for my clone m7 preamp work properly? i ask just because i heard that marantz model 7 with single work perfectly and ever the reissue m7 still with half ware power supply.
Old 8th November 2006, 02:19 PM   #2
kmtang is offline kmtang  Canada
diyAudio Member

Surely, it will work with single diode. It might just give you higher ripple but lower in frequency.

Johnny
Old 8th November 2006, 02:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I am using a single diode supply for my phono preamp. Works fine without issues. Because the supply is only charged half as often as a bridge rectifier it will charge more strongly and hence have bigger charging spikes. Expect to need slightly more capacitance in your power supply. I snubber my diode with a small cap.

Shoog
Old 8th November 2006, 05:16 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Shoog

Do you have any special reason to use single diode supply? I mean, soundwise... or just saving some pennies?

Erik
Old 8th November 2006, 07:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

No special reason, it was just the transformer I had. Valve transformers are not easy to get hold of where I am so I have to use what comes to hand.
I will replace it as soon as I can, because it physically hums more than the circuit at the moment - which is no good at all.
Shoog
Old 8th November 2006, 10:17 PM   #6
robertc is offline robertc  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

thanks Shoog
so i batter go to bridge rectifier . right?
Old 8th November 2006, 10:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Sonic advantages may be obtained because of saturation of biased core rectified voltage will be a bit regulated.
Old 9th November 2006, 07:43 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't disregard the single diode option if thats the transformer you have got. Mine physically hums because its an old poor design - not because of the single winding as such. My transformer is quiet without the case lid on, but when the lid goes on then the hum starts. It seems to be an effect of the transformer magnetically pushing and pulling the lid of the case, turning it into a large diaphram.
Sonically I would guess that, with the correct power supply, there shouldn't be anything between a single diode and a bridge.

Shoog
Old 9th November 2006, 08:26 AM   #9
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Wavebourn
Sonic advantages may be obtained because of saturation of biased core rectified voltage will be a bit regulated.
I don't see that at all. Half wave rectification means we draw DC from the transformer, but that DC is proportional to the load current, so how can it help with regulation?

Hide this!Advertise here!