The sound of chassis? - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th December 2002, 05:00 PM   #51
diyAudio Senior Member

Default COLD DRAWN SILVER SPAGETTI

Hi,

Here's another good laugh from that ad:

Quote:
we are now able to offer these fine cold drawn A**** N*** silver wires
Just figure a small Italian pulling the silver ingots through the die...

No,no I can tell the world where the AN silver comes from...should I?

Cheers,
Old 27th December 2002, 05:11 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Default Re: COLD DRAWN SILVER SPAGETTI

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
Hi,

No,no I can tell the world where the AN silver comes from...should I?

Cheers,
ROTFALMAO

Do tell. I wonder if they polarize their wire like Hovland does?

Regards
Robert Morin
Ex. Hovland Tech.
Old 27th December 2002, 05:24 PM   #53
diyAudio Senior Member

Default Ex. Hovland Tech.?

Hi,

Quote:
Do tell.
Since you ask.

Most of the specialty wires are sourced from the Phelps-Dodge (formerly Hudson Wire International) mining company in New Jersey.
The mines are in BC for silver+gold and in Chile (Atacama desert for copper).

If you need finished/insulated wire just ask their European director Mr.Karel De Laet.

DESKADEL

The audio cables are finished by BICC Vero in the U.K. for his company and were designed by yours truly.

Other than us being the best of friends I don't have any commercial relationship with this company.

AN buys raw silverwire through the same company.

You worked for Hovland Robert?
Maybe you could enlighten us on coupling caps.

Cheers,
Old 27th December 2002, 05:41 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Could anyone provide a reasonable explanation for the need to replace binding post nuts with non-conductive nuts? Why just the binding post and not all nuts? Was there a thread (pun intended) on this that I missed?
If this is true, why isn't cardas supplying them that way?
I would like to know if anyone has also tried this and has heard a difference. Peter, if you try this could you let us know if you hear a difference?
Thanx,
Joe
Old 27th December 2002, 06:06 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Ex. Hovland Tech.?

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove

You worked for Hovland Robert?
Maybe you could enlighten us on coupling caps.

Cheers,
Hi fdegrove,
I only worked at Hovland for 6 weeks. The caps are a turnkey operation for them. I was never privy to inner secrets. They even had me fixing their pre-amp with no schematics. On one hand they suffer from HUGE amounts of Audiophilla. On the other hand, the Amps/Preamps are hand built with gargantuan amounts of attention paid to quality details.

The sales guy there did not like it when I said that I had built better sounding amps and preamps on planks of wood with 1$ tv tubes. ---LOL---

Regards
Robert Morin
Old 27th December 2002, 07:50 PM   #56
diyAudio Senior Member

Default GOING NUTS.

Hi,

Quote:
Why just the binding post and not all nuts?
All nuts would be better still.
The idea behind it is to use as little metal as possible.

I assume that is what J.Carr was pointing at.

Cheers,
Old 28th December 2002, 01:45 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Ex. Hovland Tech.?

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Morin
The sales guy there did not like it when I said that I had built better sounding amps and preamps on planks of wood with 1$ tv tubes. ---LOL---

Regards
Robert Morin
LMAO!
Is that why you were only there for 6 weeks?

You may have built better sounding amps <i>in your mind</i>, but were any of them Stereophile Class A rated?
Old 28th December 2002, 02:54 AM   #58
jcarr is offline jcarr  United States
diyAudio Member

Joe:

>Could anyone provide a reasonable explanation for the need to replace binding post nuts with non-conductive nuts?<

I'm going to hold off on providing my own explanation, but I will mention that I started doing this after working on various types of grounding and power bus networks in circuit board layouts. I noticed that changes in where and how various components were tied into the ground and power bus networks affected both the measurements and the sound.

Maybe you can work out your own theories from this...

>If this is true, why isn't Cardas supplying them that way?<

Maybe this is true, but maybe I am just pulling your leg.

As far as I know, neither George nor Mary Cardas designs circuit boards as part of their jobs. And as I indicated above, _I_ likely wouldn't be doing this if I hadn't the experience of laying out circuits that are measureably and audibly sensitive to how they are grounded and powered.

>I would like to know if anyone has also tried this and has heard a difference.<

From his comments, I would guess that Frank has. Although I agree with him that part of the idea is to use as little metal as required, I find that the question is not only how much metal is used, but also where that metal is placed. If you take a certain volume of metal and locate it all on one side of the spade lug, this will not sound the same as if you had taken that same volume of metal and placed it on both sides of the spade lug.

But honestly, you don't have to go so far to get some idea of whether this is audible or not. The basic experiment is super-easy to do. No reason to not try it for yourself.

Well, OK. In case you think this is all too much effort, I'll make it even easier for you. If you have a pair of speaker cables that use banana plugs rather than spade lugs, hook up the speaker cables, and listen first with the end-nuts in place, and next without (because the cables use bananas, they will stay in place, with or without the end-nuts).

>Peter, if you try this could you let us know if you hear a difference?<

Assuming a single-ended output (not BTL), it may also be interesting to try changing just one end-nut out for a non-conductive replacement, then putting the conductive nut back and repeating the process on the opposite polarity, to see if there is a difference in effectiveness according to the polarity.

regards, jonathan carr
Old 28th December 2002, 03:11 AM   #59
halojoy is offline halojoy  Sweden
On Hiatus

jcarr
you can copy your post (to notepad)
Then Delete the post on wrong thread, yourself
Then post in correct thread, by using the saved copy i your notepad.

This what I did with this following post.
Old 28th December 2002, 03:13 AM   #60
halojoy is offline halojoy  Sweden
On Hiatus

Thumbs up jcarr - Homepage - Enjoy some nice Pictures!

Enjoy some nice Amplifier!

Connoisseur Definitions(tm)

Click the image to open in full size.
Connoisseur 3.0

Main amplifier board.
"Here you can see that by building our circuits 3-dimensionally in the air rather than relying only on a 2-dimensional circuit board, the circuit is much more compact than otherwise possible."

The 40-position coaxial volume control. Leadless non-inductive metal-foil resistors are soldered directly to the silver contacts.

/halo

Hide this!Advertise here!