The sound of chassis? - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2003, 05:26 PM   #131
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Are you saying that the badwidth remains the same, but the temporal resolution is halved momentarily?
Old 10th January 2003, 05:28 PM   #132
diyAudio Member

mrfeedback,

Quote:
"Since you seem to be up to date with the literature on the subject, do you know about how often/sec are we listening to interpolated music as opposed to what's recorded on the CD?"

Gabe, most mass procuced CDP DSP processor chips have error flag output pins, but these are usually left unused.
Some high end machines have front panel indication of different categories of data errors, but this is rare.
I didn't say this.

Gabe
Old 10th January 2003, 05:32 PM   #133
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

MF
maybe you are paraphrasing incorrectly, the whole point of interpolating is so that you don't lose the point by making an educated guess of it. Anyway nobody answer my original question. How often does this interpolation actually happen?
Old 10th January 2003, 05:32 PM   #134
diyAudio Member

Default Not Guilty....

Ok, Grataku then.

Eric.
Old 10th January 2003, 05:39 PM   #135
diyAudio Member

Default You Need To Some Study Boy....

Quote:
Originally posted by grataku
MF
maybe you are paraphrasing incorrectly, the whole point of interpolating is so that you don't lose the point by making an educated guess of it. Anyway nobody answer my original question. How often does this interpolation actually happen?
You need to read up on CDP DSP theory and techniques.
Anyway, all cdps have a buffer memory, and partly for this purpose.
When a particular sample is determined to be uncorrectable, the dsp will linealy interpolate a value between the previous and post sample numerical values.
This causes an automatic halving in bandwidth resoloution.

Eric.
Old 10th January 2003, 07:32 PM   #136
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
This causes an automatic halving in bandwidth resoloution.
Bandwidth and resolution are 2 different things.
If you interpolate over only 2 bits, then the resolution is halved for that moment in time.
However, the system bandwidth remains (almost) as great as before. IMO The reason for this is that a sudden change in bandwidth takes time. Time that is not available for such a rate of change. If interpolatin takes place on every other bit, then the system bandwidth is halved.
Old 10th January 2003, 09:11 PM   #137
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by analog_sa
By making an interface i assume you mean something other than spdif. It's the silly interface with embedded clock that's probably the cause of 99% of the problems. I've tried some of the software based 'perfect' extraction proggies. If your CDROM is not capable of perfect extraction the softaware approach doesn't seem to work so well.
Yep, I mean pulling out via SCSI or ATAPI.
Old 11th January 2003, 06:26 AM   #138
diyAudio Member

I found this isolation platform.

Eric.
Attached Images
File Type: gif artisa1.gif (68.4 KB, 275 views)
Old 17th January 2003, 05:38 PM   #139
diyAudio Member

Hiya. So awhile back you guys were talking about case materials and shielding and whatnot.. I have a question relating to those topics.

I am making a case for a gainclone, and the RF noise is kinda bad where I live.. So I was thinking of using thin copper sheets as the interior of my case.. Good shielding and good acoustic properties, right? And maybe the exterior would be aluminum... Though there seems to be some anti-aluminum sentiment here--not the most acoustic metal... But if the case had an aluminum interior, would that make up for it? What about a wooden box with a copper inner lining? Would using wood provide enough of an improvement over the aluminum to be worth the extra work?

any info appreciated

--Jordan
Old 17th January 2003, 05:58 PM   #140
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I was thinking that wood requires less extra work to finish than aluminum (were you have to buff it and anodize which is not that extra work but costly).

If you using heatsinks and your case doesn't act as heat dispersion surface, probably wood be recommended ( I like maple). The other alternative might be acrylic. You can line the interior with self adhesive mumetal sheets, which were available on a forum from Dave (planet10).

Another way to shield just the chip, would be using copper plate when attaching the chip to the heatsink. You cut the small plate, slightly bigger than the chip, and place it on top of a chip using two screws on ea. side. It is much better way to press the chip to the sink (than a single screw), as well as providing extra shielding.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC

Hide this!Advertise here!