The sound of chassis? - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2003, 11:48 PM   #111
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I just acquired Newport air suspention platform http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...l&pagenumber=3

I tell you that this is the best improvement I made to my stereo so far. I'm using it just under the CD transport, but the amount of information I'm getting now is incredible. It's like the sonic signature of anything that supported the player before is totaly gone. There is so much more depth to the sound, the detail in high frequencies is amazing and the music is not bounded by anything. Also the bass is improved with more definition and pace. The air take on supply is actually very low because it is rather stored in modules and they don't pass it like the turntables. I can play full volume, yet when I touch the platform or CD player I can't feel any vibrations. All the other, not supported components resonate like crazy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pl.jpg (49.6 KB, 258 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 9th January 2003, 11:52 PM   #112
diyAudio Senior Member

Default LEVITATION

Hi Peter,

Great news indeed!

I'm really tempted to invest in that stuff and put an end to all that time tweaking with different materials.

Cheers,
Old 10th January 2003, 02:38 AM   #113
diyAudio Member

Default Aquirophile ?....

'Aquired' sounds like less than normal price.
What is the going price for these ?.
"I can play full volume, yet when I touch the platform or CD player I can't feel any vibrations. All the other, not supported components resonate like crazy."
I'm getting same results with the springs, and yes vibration isolation does make a very nice difference ime so far.

Eric.
Old 10th January 2003, 02:57 AM   #114
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Around $1400. I did some trading.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 10th January 2003, 04:23 AM   #115
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't understand how the air platform makes any difference with a CD player. I have quite an extensive knowledge of vibration dampening in spectroscopy and yes, in the analog domain it's the only way to do it but in digital domain? Something's weird.
Naturally there are subsonic vibrations the environment say 4, 6, 8 Hz. These create all kinds of problems in hi resolution spectroscopy because they broaden absorption lines create artifacts especially if many lines are present in a narrow bandwidth which is surely the case in music material. When music plays there are all kinds of other frequencies coming from the speakers that add to the problem.
Saying that vibration control improves the CD player would indicate that, in the absence of vibration, you are somehow doing a better job in extracting bits from the CD and that makes absolutely no sense at all to me unless the vibration really effect the electronics of the analog section. Since there are transformers mounted on the chassis there are already all kinds of overtones coming from within the CD chassis itself.
If that is correct the thing to put on the dampers would be the dac alone with power supplies and no transformers.
There are some experiments that could be done here to figure this out.

Unfortunately, I could never install air lifts on my stereo, it would look too much like at work.
Old 10th January 2003, 05:00 AM   #116
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by grataku
you are somehow doing a better job in extracting bits from the CD and that makes absolutely no sense at all to me unless the vibration really effect the electronics of the analog section
Why wouldn't they. And even in the digital bits, some of the tasks are essentially analog. I attach part of an interview with Julian Vereker (one of my heros):

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif julian.gif (15.5 KB, 220 views)
Old 10th January 2003, 05:55 AM   #117
diyAudio Member

Dave,
what you are saying is that the if you send me your MS WORD CD that loaded fine on your computer it's not going to load correctly on my laptop if I lightly tap on my computer desk while it's installing?

Data integrity and being able to read correctly down to the last bit is sort of the bare bones requirement for anything to work in the digital domain. I am pretty sure that any 50 c CDROM made by the indigenous people of whatever is able to do that. The question is for how long.
Old 10th January 2003, 06:48 AM   #118
diyAudio Member

Peter
I am surprised you didn't buy 3 cdm 225 for $600 and made your own lift. I got the feeling we are going to see pictures of your whole system or air jacks within a couple of weeks. Do you have tank? Is it refillable or disposable? To what kind of pressures does it get filled?
Old 10th January 2003, 06:51 AM   #119
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Data integrity and being able to read correctly down to the last bit is sort of the bare bones requirement for anything to work in the digital domain.
There are no such requirements for red book cd. Not enough error correction code to make up for all reading errors. And much more importantly there is jitter.
This topic has been discussed hundreds of times. Why don't you do some reading?

peter
Old 10th January 2003, 08:21 AM   #120
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by grataku
what you are saying is that the if you send me your MS WORD CD
Don't have a Word CD. It is one of the worst pieces of software i've ever tried.

Besides the part about the bits being an RF signal before it hits the circuitry, the bit about vibration stressing/spiking the power supply is enuff to explain the potential benefit.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!