Suggestions for a high end tube amp kit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2006, 12:55 PM   #1
Rafal is offline Rafal  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Suggestions for a high end tube amp kit

Hi Folks,

I currently am running a gainclone (based on LM3875 and BrianGT boards) and would like to try building a tube power amp kit. Can you recommend a kit that will give me better results than the gainclone I have? I'm looking for something that would equal a manufactured amp costing about $1500.
This will be used to drive fairly efficient speakers (visaton b200 in OB) and I need this amp to have a very strong bass (since it's a week point of OB).

I've never played with the tubes but a lot of people seem to be really into it, so I thought I'd try it.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Cheers,

Rafal
Old 6th November 2006, 05:32 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Rafal

Quote:
I need this amp to have a very strong bass (since it's a week point of OB).
In principe this would not have to be a problem: a valve amp can produce bass, and including some tone controls or 'loudness' function on it, it could be even made to produce more bass... but the question is if you really want this. The B200 will never produce strong bass in a open baffle, as it can't move much air with it's 8" surface.

I do own a B200 too, built in OB. For music without bass (choir) I play them fullrange, but when I want some heavier music (as a classic concert) I turn on my dipole subs and a 12dB HP crossover at about 100Hz on the B200. This way I take the stress of bass and long excursions out of the B200, which plays wonderfully the octaves above 100Hz. I feel that without the crossover the B200 loses some qualities in its upper frequencies.

So, maybe a valve amp for the B200, and a dipole sub?

Erik
Old 6th November 2006, 06:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

That sounds like a good idea. Can you share details about your dipole sub? and the crossover?
Old 6th November 2006, 07:46 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

budget?
Old 6th November 2006, 07:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Rafal

I started to build this speakers about one year ago when I still had some time, but did not quite finish them, yet. I attach an old picture...

Sub is dipole, a W frame, with 2x 18" inch PA sub which had the right parameters. Filtered on 100Hz, with a 24dB LR crossover, powered by a gainclone....and rattling a bit at (too) high volumes - have to fix that.

For the visaton a PP with EL519, which sounds quite nice. There is a ribbon mounted, but I never had it playing yet.

For further information on dipole subs I would go to the subwoofer forum or visit www.linkwitzlab.com

I hope someone jumps in with info on your request.

Erik
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speaker.jpg (41.2 KB, 983 views)
Old 6th November 2006, 07:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I don't know, maybe $500?
That's about how much I can get the T amp using UCD180 built for (I think I would preffer to try tubes though)
Old 6th November 2006, 10:08 PM   #7
scott_m is offline scott_m  United States
diyAudio Member

Rafal,

Besides the BrianGT gainclone board you have, I have three other diy-ish amplifiers. These three amps all best the gainclone w/ my visaton b200 speakers. In no particular order:

- DIYParadise Charlize. I know, I know...not a tube amp. Still it's easy, inexpensive and drives the b200s great.

- Bottlehead S.E.X amp. Stock version bests the gainclone, plus works great as a dedicated headphone amplifier. Easy to build for around 350 dollars.

- Eli's 'El Cheapo' PP amplifer can be found here.El Cheapo thread here. I love mine. Jim Mcshane makes a kit of component parts, tubes, sockets, rca jacks, etc... available. You supply the chassis and the iron. For sub 500 dollars you could upgrade the output transformers and have a really fine amplifier. (I built mine w/ dynaclone output transformers and the amp has a very healthy low end...)

Good luck,

Scott.
Old 6th November 2006, 10:17 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I can't guarantee it will sound good but I've been working on an amp that should be quite cheap. It uses cheap Russian EL84-type tubes, the 6P14P, and either a 6DJ8 or a 6N23P. Should be easily sub 400 dollars, but it depends on which iron you want (Edcor makes 10W 8K a-a OPT's for 16 a pop, but I'll also be using the Z565)
Old 6th November 2006, 11:26 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scott_m
Rafal,

Besides the BrianGT gainclone board you have, I have three other diy-ish amplifiers. These three amps all best the gainclone w/ my visaton b200 speakers. In no particular order:

- DIYParadise Charlize. I know, I know...not a tube amp. Still it's easy, inexpensive and drives the b200s great.

- Bottlehead S.E.X amp. Stock version bests the gainclone, plus works great as a dedicated headphone amplifier. Easy to build for around 350 dollars.

- Eli's 'El Cheapo' PP amplifer can be found here.El Cheapo thread here. I love mine. Jim Mcshane makes a kit of component parts, tubes, sockets, rca jacks, etc... available. You supply the chassis and the iron. For sub 500 dollars you could upgrade the output transformers and have a really fine amplifier. (I built mine w/ dynaclone output transformers and the amp has a very healthy low end...)

Good luck,

Scott.
Scott, thanks for your suggestions. I was actually thinking of Charlize and I was wondering how it compared to my gainclone. It is dead easy to build and not too pricey. I also considered 41Hz AMP6 which is based on the same chip but requires more assembly ( a lot cheaper though). Which of these amps, would you say is the best mach for B200? Also if you were to rate them, which would be your 1st, 3nd and 3rd pick?

I will surely look into the tube amps but if the performance of Charlize iz simillar to the tube amps, maybe i should just give Charlize a go?
Old 7th November 2006, 12:26 AM   #10
scott_m is offline scott_m  United States
diyAudio Member

Rafal,

The Charlize is a step behind the S.E.X. amp. and the PP Dyanclone z565 'el cheapo' - however it is a step above the chip amp, and affordable, and easy to put together. The PP 'el cheapo' would give you more options for speakers down the road. The S.E.X. amp is a complete kit, easy to assemble, and WILL work when you're all done. (so will the 'el cheapo', but you'll have to figure out a few more steps on your own).

Scott.

Hide this!Advertise here!